Author Topic: Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?  (Read 11530 times)

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
1979 Chevrolet Silverado C20 rclb cammed 355/th400/4.10 - sold
1977 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe c10 rcsb stepside 355/th350/3.42
Vortec heads lunati cam edelbrock intake headers

Online ehjorten

Re: Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
Don't do anything off of what they are offering you!  They need to send you a copy of the valuation!!  Then...read every line of that valuation and scrutinize it!  Like I said...comparables have to be same year or one year newer, not just same model, but like options and within 150 miles of where your vehicle is garaged.  They can make some adjustments for minor differences, but don't let them give you valuations for a 1/2 ton 350 with just heat if yours is say a 3/4 ton 454 with A/C.  Then also make sure that you can get to the vehicles to check them out or that there is a legit ad with pictures that you can see the vehicle.

Also...don't gloss over the records stuff that they will present on your vehicle.  In my experience those records were purely fabricated!!!  I called every single agency that was involved in the valuation, called any reference agencies of those agencies and called my DMV and confirmed that not one of those agencies had any records of my vehicle!

That is when I wrote my very pointed rebuttal stating all of the facts and offered to call my State Insurance Commissioner for them.  It wasn't long after that that my phone was ringing. 
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 12:26:22 PM »
Looks like they made it easy for me...The comparisons they used are all 1979 longbed trucks with minimal info and no contact or ad reference for me to verify and all out of state, seeing as I live in Austin, TX anything out of state is without a doubt over 150 miles. They also recorded my mileage as 312,000 which is a random guess on their part as the odometer currently says 646 miles, the original read 46k when I bought it but shortly after the speedometer broke(it was parked for awhile waiting for the engine to be finished during that time), so it looks like I have work to do and they have some explaining to do.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:26:36 PM by travisr1988 »

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
There are several issues in their report.
The first is the mileage, the listed a ridiculously high mileage, they listed it as a standard transmission when it is an automatic, the trucks used for comparison are all 500+ miles away and out of state, they are comparing it to 1979 longbed and 1 shortbed, no VIN info for the longbeds, not similarly optioned, all list 100k+ mileage (truly unknown mileage as the odometers roll over at 100k). The biggest hit on value is the fictitious mileage, followed by the transmission listed as a standard when it is in fact a th350.
I looked up the nada value for 1979 c10s and both short and longbed are over $1k less valuable than 1977 c10 shortbeds.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:27:43 PM by travisr1988 »

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:15 PM »
In the past, to move them to action, I've told them it's getting placed in a secured storage facility at a cost of $30 a day because the truck shouldn't be driven like it is. It may have a safety issue that needs to be addressed. Because it's an accident related expense they usually start to get involved pretty quickly.

I would also use Haggerty's along with Ebay, Mecum and other auctions to show what the value of these trucks are today. When was the last time somebody filled out a sale report and updated NADA? Their numbers on the older stuff are so out of date mainly because of how they collect the data.Prices on these in the past year have jumped substantially.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline travisr1988

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
Truthfully if they settled for half the nada value for low retail and left the title alone so it stays exactly as it was before the accident then I would be happy. Half the nada value would be enough to repair the damage and cover any additional damage that may be found when I begin the repair process.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
Stop talking on the phone
Communicate in writing only
Either email or snail mail

Remember.  Their job is to pay out as little as possible and they wil go to great lengths to try and prevent you from cashing the check and not fixing the vehicle

You can negotiate a fair settlement that will leave the title alone but it will take some letters
Print off some ads showing similar trucks and send them
Dispute the mileage
Jacking up the Milage is a very common tactic with scumbag insurance adjusters , and they are all scum, they get a year end bonus based on how much $$$ they screw victims out of

They did the same Milage trick to me
Listing mine as 340k when it was really 149k
I was in the vehicle at the time and had to visit a chiropractor to get any money
The scum adjuster offered me $550 for damage that included the tailgate , rear bumper ,the rear gas tank , the tank skid plate , the trailer hitch, and the frame horns .

Actual repair estimate was almost $2000

Their main goal is pay out as little as possible and screw up the title to your vehicle
And lots of people accept the scumbag adjusters first lowball offer

You gotta move up to a supervisor and communicate in writing , because they are like politicians , every word they say is a lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 76LongBox

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
Once you get it resolved to your satisfaction, I would highly recommend getting Hagerty Insurance with a declared value. I have a 76 GMC Sierra Classic long bed with a declared value of $12,000, and my premium is $228/year...yes, per year for a 12k declared value policy.

Fortunately, I've never had a claim with them, but it seems like the way to go.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
Once you get it resolved to your satisfaction, I would highly recommend getting Hagerty Insurance with a declared value. I have a 76 GMC Sierra Classic long bed with a declared value of $12,000, and my premium is $228/year...yes, per year for a 12k declared value policy.

Fortunately, I've never had a claim with them, but it seems like the way to go.
Hagerty or other classic insurance co's work if it's a trailer queen

They have so many restrictions that it's useless for any other type of vehicle

If the vehicle is not on pavement it's not covered
Teen drivers not covered

Only allowed to drive it to and from shows etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
Why can't you believe it? Look what you have to put into one to get it to be really nice. Sure you can find clunkers for cheap or maybe find an old lady who doesn't know what she has but aside from that, these trucks are no longer part of the $1500 club. I see the beat to death and heavily molested trucks going for $5-$8k around here. I turned down $16K for my K20 over the Summer. They will continue to increase in value over time and rightfully so.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Truck declared a total loss, what can I expect?
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
Agreed. I paid 4k for mine and i dont think there was a part on it that hasnt been touched by now. And i'm still adding new parts. Guess i'm stuck with it. Havnt driven it in like two weeks,,starting to get the shakes man!! Lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:28:28 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
Gotta spend your money on something. Better to make it well spent on something you love
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
when i totaled my first impala in 07 i bought my second square (79 mud truck) with the insurance money and still had some change left over (about 12k)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes