Author Topic: Door mirror  (Read 6542 times)

Offline tonyb

Door mirror
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
I am looking for information on door mirror replacement. I just finished the body on my 78 3/4t and want to install the mirrors. The mirrors I have are the Dumbo style and the glass is broke. Can you replace the glass? if so how do you get the old out?. My other option is to go to aftermarket but all the heads I find do not have the mount like mine. I have a tube coming off the bracket that goes into the mirror head and there are 4 small bolts that must clamp it inside the mirror head. These are original to the truck.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:21:23 PM by Captkaos »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Door mirror
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
Mirror mounting dimensions are available in the thread Optional Mirrors located in the Technical Pages.  Generally the glass is replaceable if you can source it.  IIRC the glass is retained by double sided tape, but what you've described sounds like more trouble than it's worth.  Why not replace them with stainless steel mirrors?

High quality stainless steel mirror kits are available through the 73-87ChevyTrucks.com site store.  Click on "Doors" and scroll through the subsequent pages.  If you have any questions about the mirror kits, email Captkaos at webmaster@73-87chevytrucks.com.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline tonyb

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:00:07 AM »
Right, but I do not want to go to a different mirror, the style shown on that site is a newer version than what I have and I would need to weld holes shut and repaint the door again. I really want to stay with the original style mirror and just want to replace the heads. I understand the difficulty with replacing glass, just wondered if anyone knew of an easy way to do it. I think I will try to find used ones or replace just the heads. Thanks.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
Got it.  Here is another thread showing "Dumbo" mounting dimensions, 73-87 Mirror mounting location (sport and "dumbo").  Good luck with your project.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »
Which mirror do you have?

Offline tonyb

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:43:56 PM »
White Dumbo, rod from mount actually slips into head and bolts clamp it down

Offline Jason S

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
Does your mirror look like the one in the attached photo, except white painted?

Photo clipped from this thread: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32036.msg270032#msg270032

If it's a mirror like in the photo, there is a rubber gasket that can be carefully pried out and replacement glass installed.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline tonyb

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »
That is it, when I tried to get it out the mirror cracked. Is the mirror glued into the head?

Offline Jason S

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
I don't recall there being any glue between the rubber gasket and mirror body.  Just a really tight fit between the gasket and the metal mirror body.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Kren420

• 1986 C10 Silverado
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »
Jason is correct. Usually just a tight fit.  Very difficult to remove without breaking.  Putting new one in requires lots of lubricant (we just use foaming glass cleaner and maybe a little Vaseline).  You stretch the rubber gasket over the new glass, then press the glass and gasket into frame. However, I have seen some people use a little urethane or silicone on the install.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 10:35:54 PM »
I don't recall there being any glue between the rubber gasket and mirror body.  Just a really tight fit between the gasket and the metal mirror body.
Both of these are correct. I've done it numerous times. I've never used a lube tho, I've just always been careful.
Jason is correct. Usually just a tight fit.  Very difficult to remove without breaking.  Putting new one in requires lots of lubricant (we just use foaming glass cleaner and maybe a little Vaseline).  You stretch the rubber gasket over the new glass, then press the glass and gasket into frame. However, I have seen some people use a little urethane or silicone on the install.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline tonyb

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
Thanks a lot, I was told that the glass was glued to the mounting block in the back. We have a good glass place in town. I will try to see if they can cut it the same. or is there a place to get replacement glass?