Author Topic: Box Liner on the Exterior  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Nfscarbon07

• New Users
Box Liner on the Exterior
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
In the summer of 2016, I bought a 1983 GMC K15, and it was sprayed with white box liner over the body, but it was all popcorn and rough looking everywhere, looks like stucco on the side of a building, everything else on the truck checked out and everything worked.

I'm not sure yet if I want to smooth out the box liner and maybe put a new layer but a different color so it's smoothed out, or if I want to strip it all down and actually paint it. What would be the best method to clean off the popcorn from the side? I was almost thinking of getting a scraper with a razer edge. If I strip it right down I might need to have a paint stripping solvent with a scraper I believe?

I'm fairly new to this kind of thing and wanted to see what other people's personal experiences are, I looked all over the web but all I can find are where to buy box liner.

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
Re: Box Liner on the Exterior
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »
I'd guess sand it down with a DA and a board file or use a chemical stripper.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Box Liner on the Exterior
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
I would suggest having the whole thing blasted. It will save you major time and money. Who knows what was covered over with it too. What are they hiding?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10