Author Topic: 1975 C10 Truck Questions  (Read 4670 times)

Offline BlazerNerd97

1975 C10 Truck Questions
« on: February 21, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »
Looking for any information possible to get parts for this truck. Main things I'm looking for are parts for the toolbox on the bed. These parts consist of the latch mechanism and the weatherstripping to seal it. I'd like to get new parts if possible rather than used/worn parts.

Also looking for advice on the best route to fix the back corners on the bed. They are both beat pretty good and I'm considering cutting the rear off and welding a new on unless there's a better option out there.

Last thing I would like information on is the BEST place to order aftermarket parts. I have not had good luck with most places and would rather not continue getting stuff from them. Tried putting names of those places, but it showed as blank or "competitor."

Thanks! Here's some pictures.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:49:56 PM by BlazerNerd97 »
Throw me to the wolves, and I will come back leading the pack.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: 1975 C10 Truck Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
The site you are on (mine) sells parts, Check the STORE link above, or go here:  http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com  If you don't see what you are looking for, email me webmaster@73-87chevytrucks.com

The seals on the bed toolbox are going to be impossible to find that wasn't a popular option.  You just need to find something that matches what you have.

For the rear you can put corners on it, but it looks like it needs more than that..
corners are here: http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=0850-135-136&Category_Code=7387Beds

Offline BlazerNerd97

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:11:59 AM »
Thank you sir! I am new here, so I'm not fully experienced with navigating. Now I know. I'll have to do some research to see if those bed corners would work.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
i hate to break it to you but that truck has sat way to long being opened up, like the engine. youre going to need to clean the dust and crap out of the engine. i would take the heads off and clean the engine up. who knows what vales were open and all sorts of crap has fallen into the cylinder be a good time to just pull it and do a cam swap maybe head swap if you have the cash for it. the hood can be mended with braces but then if you get into an accident it can come straight back into the cab and kill someone. like capt said that tool box is going to be hard to fix right. since you need new bed corners you might as well just scrap the tool box and get a bed thats in better shape.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline BlazerNerd97

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
I will say, it was a thought to scrap it, but so many people tell me it's worth saving. It's not a rusty bed at all like the toolbox beds usually were, so I really think this one is worth saving. Or even cutting the toolbox section out and getting another bed and welding it in. The bed floor is as straight as a dime if I remember right, not home for another month so I don't remember. In regards to the engine, I have a newer GM 350 with a serpentine belt I'm pulling from my rust bucket 66 Chevy and dropping into this one. It's a good engine, but the 66 isn't worth saving. I want to keep this truck looking ratty and old on the outside, but super clean and high performance-like on the inside. The 350 I'm putting in might still come apart to do a cam job, but I'm not fully settled on that yet.

I'm almost tempted to find another junk bed that's a different color and mating the two together and patching the rust hole on the bottom of the doors with a different color door panel section and then doing a flat clear coat just to keep the ratty junker look.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:42:23 PM by BlazerNerd97 »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
small can of wd40, should be fine. lol

no, seriously, big project there...
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline BlazerNerd97

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
Yeah, I've got a pretty good mindset of what I'm going to be getting myself into. If I don't start on it soon, I'll definitely have to make it a father son build. I don't have any kids either, so I don't plan on waiting that long to get to this one. Just need to finish some school and get my degree and then I'll start on it after that.

Offline 184Champion

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
nothing wrong with driving an old beater especially with some upgrades where it counts.
1979 C-10, 2 wheel drive, 350, 700R4, Affordable fuel injection TBI, Pulleys and accessories off a 1990. I always hates multiple belts. Electric cooling fans.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
nothing wrong with driving an old beater especially with some upgrades where it counts.

I totally agree! I'm looking for a k-series beater now. So the "nice" truck can come off the road next winter.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline BlazerNerd97

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »

At least I'm not the only one that thinks this! I'm the kind of guy that wants people to think my truck is a pile of scrap metal, but make their jaw drop when I make them horses sing underneath the hood and then leave them behind in the dust.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
I would be helpful if you show your location, since someone may know if a well-stocked pick and pull near you.    When I needed to replace the beaten up pickup bed on my '75 I was able to find one on an '81 that had apparently been replaced not that many years ago.

I drove to the junkyard and unbolted my bed in the parking lot, and then also unbolted the bed on the pickup in the yard.  They used a forklift to remove my old bed and drop the new one onto my truck.  Then my son and I moved the lights over to the "new" bed and bolted it in place.   The trim style and color did not match, but it was in excellent condition compared to my old one.  Total time was about and hour and a 1/2 and I only paid about $200 for the complete bed.

Getting the bolts off one in the yard can be a challenge because the carriage head top of the bolt may just spin.  I was able to either grind a slot in the head and use a big screwdriver to hold it, or dimple the bed around the bolt head and get some vice grips on the sides.

Bruce

Offline BlazerNerd97

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
I would be helpful if you show your location, since someone may know if a well-stocked pick and pull near you. 

I would provide a location to my account, but I'm not actually sure how. I live in Newberry Springs, CA