Author Topic: Front Disc Brake Pads  (Read 5818 times)

Offline dbolen3

Front Disc Brake Pads
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »
I was wondering what most people use, I am going to replace mine soon and was just checking for suggestions. My truck is a 87 R10 2wd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
Re: Front Disc Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »
NAPA.......Lifetime warranty.
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
I've had good luck with Wagner Severe Duty and Napa Fleet pads. They have a harder compound which makes them less prone to cementite buildup and the resulting brake shimmy.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
What type of driving do you do primarily - towing, hauling, highway, around town?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »
The best quality pads and rotors have good corrosion and fade resistance while minimizing brake dust. I always recommend going that route.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline blazer74

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
Had good luck with Wagner Thermoquiets

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:20:18 PM »
ive always used autozone, cause at one point i worked there and got lifetime pads from them and its a nation wide system.

NAPA on the other hand i dont think their system is nationwide or even statewide (maybe with a receipt, commercial accounts keep their own records). ive always use napa commercial account so i dont have to keep a receipt but a big sign on their door says you need a receipt to return anything.

Advance auto advertises a limited lifetime warranty just like autozone but theyll enforce it and back it for only the original pads, after that youre on your own

i know it doesnt answer your question and i cant say ive tested all the brands but i get lifetime pads no matter what store i go to
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
It seem like for me, the front drivers wear them out (the fronts) much faster than most of the rear drive cars?

As far as brands, Wagner Thermoquiets, Bendix and Ac delco have worked well for me.

Offline North Central Ohio

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:23:03 PM »
No offense against "other" autoparts stores,but it seems like Napa carries better quality parts and the staff is more knowledgable. Some parts may be more expensive,but like I said,the quality seems better and if your not certain on what to get,the staff will fix you up. *my disclaimer:I'm not and have not been affiliated with any autoparts stores.*lol

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
Napa is a franchise so unfortunately what you get at one store may be very different than the next store.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
No offense against "other" autoparts stores,but it seems like Napa carries better quality parts and the staff is more knowledgable. Some parts may be more expensive,but like I said,the quality seems better and if your not certain on what to get,the staff will fix you up. *my disclaimer:I'm not and have not been affiliated with any autoparts stores.*lol

Your fortunate, as I. Mt. Gilead, is family orientated, dang good bunch there. Earl, is top notch. Rob and Bret in Marion, also will bend backwards for ya. Don't mention Hip sent ya, the'll charge ya double....lol
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline North Central Ohio

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
Sounds like we ARE the fortunate ones,gun! I've only had to visit my area napa and never different ones to see a difference in parts from one store to another. That is unfortunate,but youd think if one store wouldn't have the part you need,it could be shipped from another store

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Sorry, I have to chime in here. I've stopped using Napa parts because they're so bad. About 10 years ago, I couldn't tell the difference between Napa's parts and the OE parts I'd get from the dealer. Napa was a guaranteed one-and-done install. Now, Napa parts are a guaranteed PITA for me. My local parts store (there's only one), recently went Napa, so I tried them again. Two tries, two fails. I have a brand NEW Napa AC compressor in my Suburban right now that chatters like a son-of-a-gun. The store is going to warranty it, but I just don't have time or patience to do and re-do repairs. I buy OE parts from Rock Auto now. That has problems too (like me buying the wrong stuff) but at least the parts are good.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
funny you say this. i was just in napa yesterday and i like to poke them in the ribs every chance i get and do the same to me. were like a family and my kids love them. but anyway the manager was talking to someone about their 3 different line of parts. Eco, good and best, and how this was brought on by autozone and advance coming around. before they came around they only had one brand and it was the best (which is how i remembered them) but to compete with the much lower prices they had to offer cheaper parts.

i like them for their attitude, to me i dont see the crappy customers or the "performance" guys just a bunch of farmers that want to get their part and get back to work after after a nice conversation. theyre putting an advance auto within a mile of napa but i will still go to napa. yesterday i even was jabbing them about how i hear advance was going to have a coffee maker for their customers. im hoping napa will let me have some of their coffee lol, its all i drink (most times)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
I used to run a dealership service department that was a Napa Auto Care Center which basically meant we got price gouged on crappy parts and we had to hold inventory. One of the very first things I did when I took over was reversed the inventory and opened up an account with Advance Commercial. My prices were cut in half, delivery times cut in half, part quality went up, warranty and labor claims were hassle free. Sorry Napa, you need to evolve with the times. I was happy the day we took the ugly sign off of our building and threw it in the dumpster. While it might be a good pit stop for farm tractor land, most can't keep up the pace with the demands and needs of today's businesses. Time is money. I'm all about supporting local businesses but if they in turn cannot support their local customers needs then the fault is on them. Napa lost 13 accounts with me and Advance and AutoZone Commercial won their business. Now dealing with commercial is very different than dealing with the store front which is what most customers see when they walk into the store. With that being said, this can also make a very negative experience that will make your skin crawl. Luckily for me, I get my parts delivered but my advice is to pre-order your parts online and then just pick them up at the store to avoid dealing with the imbeciles.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)