Author Topic: AC Compressor  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
AC Compressor
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »
74 C10 350 w/factory air. For the past 12 months I am currently on my 4th 4 Seasons/Everco New compressor. They are either no good or leaks oil. Wanting to find out what other people are using with success. (luckily I got the lifetime warranty).

TIA
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: AC Compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »
Did you flush the system and replace the drier and orifice tube?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
Forgot to mention it is an A6. Replaced condenser, evaporator, accumulator, orifice tube, hoses. In other words, has all new components.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline blazer74

AC Compressor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
You can go with a Sanyo(Sanden) or Chinese knockoff compressor conversion with the brackets if u don't mind loosing originality.

You can get them where they accept your factory manifold.

I went that route due to being tired of oil being slung on the hood and around.
It also does away with that aft bracket over the valve cover.

Can always go back later for resale.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:04:55 PM by blazer74 »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
Are you vacuuming the system before charging? What oil and refrigerant are you using?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
Are you vacuuming the system before charging? What oil and refrigerant are you using?

Yes, the repair shop AC tech has been taking care of that.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:20:26 PM »
Taking care of what? Vacuuming the system? You didn't answer the second question. If you are having a shop recharge the system and you've had 4 compressor failures I'd be looking at what the heck they are doing. Contaminated equipment, wrong oil or refrigerant charge.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
They installed everything. First2 compressors crapped out, installed at one shop. The last 2 leaked oil installed at different shop. Not repair shop. Just bad compressors. Other than this, I don't know how to explain it in more detail. Repair shop knows how to install AC.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
roy, when i worked at the parts store it wouldnt be to uncommon to have bad parts right off the shelf. but it would never a 3rd and definitely not a 4th. if a company had 100% of 4 compressors are bad right off the shelf then they wouldnt be in business long. same can be said about a bad shop that cant install ac parts. i did my own with viles help and it was my first time doing one. if he suggest something or ask a question he normally has a valid reason for it and he'll point you in the right direction. the ac job he helped me on was done back in 2010 and hasnt had any issues since. i would suggest you doing it yourself if youre up to it. its not hard at all and imo is cake
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
Not asking for troubleshooting help for the AC system.

Just want to know what compressor other people are using with success. That is all.

(Refer to original post)
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
i understand what your asking but i think were questioning the competence in who's installing the parts rather than the company who makes them

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 10:24:41 AM »
Not asking for troubleshooting help for the AC system.

Just want to know what compressor other people are using with success. That is all.

(Refer to original post)

Four Seasons
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
x2

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Wondering if the R4 compressors are reliable. And if it is worth the trouble to convert?
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
One option would be the pro6Ten compressor, which is a standard compressor that has been repackaged so that you can use it to directly replace an A6.  It uses all the same brackets and connections as the A6, but is a newer, lighter compressor.  This compressor is $345, plus shipping.
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/compressors/gm-replacement-compressor-c-1_50000000_57000000_120132081.html

The other option is to use a standard Sanden compressor, and buy mounting brackets and from Vintage Air or Alan Grove.  You also need an adapter for the Sanden that converts it to the same fittings as your old A6.
Sanden compressor is about $200, Vintage Air or Grove brackets are about $100, and the adapter block is $22, so the total is about $325.  The advantage of this choice is that the Sanden compressors are very standard, so future replacements would be easy.  Summit has decent prices on the bracket and compressor, so I'll probably buy from them.

I used a Seltec/Sanden the last time I resurrected my A/C, but then the system developed a leak.  I kept adding R134a, but no additional oil, and all of a sudden the compressor locked up tight.   I need to do a full leak check, flush the system, replace the drier, and then bring my A/C online gain.  I've never replaced my evaporator, so that's the most likely suspect for leaks.

I never liked the design of the 1st mounting bracket I had for the Sanden (it was an aluminum bracket that came from Arizona Mobil Air), so I think I'll buy the steel brackets from Vintage Air.    The 15123- VCB bracket looks like it mounts similar to the stock A6 bracket, so I think that may be the best choice.  However, they do have others that would work.

I already have new barrier hoses with #10 and #8 fittings for the compressor lines, so I can use the Sanden without any adapter.  I also have a parallel flow condenser and am using a Ford blue orifice tube.  This combination cooled well when I had it running before.  Does your '74 also have an orifice tube, or is it TXV?

Bruce