Author Topic: general questions for lowering and lowered suspension.  (Read 3650 times)

Offline whiskeybravo

general questions for lowering and lowered suspension.
« on: March 26, 2017, 06:02:05 AM »
Hi All,

Newbie to the site and just recently picked up a 77 regular cab short box k10. I am a huge fan of these trucks slammed to the ground.

Anybody out there have info they care to share about their lowered projects, resources for best lowering options, favourite suppliers, tips, troubles you ran into, best practices for lowering, and what ever else you can think of related to slamming these sweet trucks?

I'd like to put it on airbags with 20" wheels and be able to lay the frame on the ground.

Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: general questions for lowering and lowered suspension.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »
i made this a little while ago. most users who have done drops havnt posted in it but theres a couple that have and they might be able to point you in the right direction
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=34554.msg293300#msg293300
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 07:30:25 AM »
Hi All,

Newbie to the site and just recently picked up a 77 regular cab short box k10. I am a huge fan of these trucks slammed to the ground.

Anybody out there have info they care to share about their lowered projects, resources for best lowering options, favourite suppliers, tips, troubles you ran into, best practices for lowering, and what ever else you can think of related to slamming these sweet trucks?

I'd like to put it on airbags with 20" wheels and be able to lay the frame on the ground.

Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Most people lower the 2wd trucks. Is there a reason you want to lower a 4x4 to thr ground?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
didnt catch that part. the link i posted is irrelevant and your going to be limited on the drop due to the front axle
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline whiskeybravo

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »
I have a 4x4 because a friend was cleaning out his yard and pretty much gave it away. I did not seek out the k10 to lower just happened upon the opportunity by chance and I realize the c10's are the ones that usually get the drop. I like these trucks low to the ground and have actually been sitting on the fence as to whether or not to keep it as is or drop it. However, I was thinking of completly re doing the suspension front and rear as it is in rough shape to begin with. I've seen specifically engineered to fit and lower aftermarket IFS front ends and four link rear end kits. Just figured someone on this site may have experience on the topic and would share some info. Thanks.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way but it's like a rabbit hole and you will keep digging. I don't see the trade off in terms of ride quality and value for doing this unless what you want is in fact a lowered 4WD. If you are just doing it for looks, I would seek out a C10 for a frame swap and it would ride a lot nicer saving a lot of money.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
You cannot lay frame with a 4x4, the Axle in the front is in the way along with everything else.