Author Topic: Starter Problem  (Read 1974 times)

Offline vjfelix55

Starter Problem
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »
Ok guys I've been having this problem for God knows how Long and I've tried everything.. I can't figure out what to do.
My starter will not mount right and if I try to crank it over it makes an absolutely horrendous grinding. I've tried every amount of shims and different starters, only a friend fixed it once and then I needed to put a new starter on recently and its been doing it again. If anybody knows what I can do PLEASE HELP, this truck is my baby and my daily driver and she's been sitting for 2 months now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Starter Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
First this http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5220.0

what starter did you purchase? What was wrong with the old one? did you inspect the teeth on the flywheel or flexplate? Have you properly shimmed it? If so then make sure you got the correct starter.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Online philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
I think he forgot about you, or fixed it. Or junked it and bought a new F-150. Lol..
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
Hey guys I fixed the starter on my 81 k20 but another problem. I have no Running lights, I pull the headlight knob and I have no running tail lights, no headlights, and no park lights, but my blinkers all work, and my brake lights work, what could be the problem? Is there a fuse or is it the dimmer switch or headlight switch. Oh and the dome light does turn on when I spin the knob all the way to left.

Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »
Hey guys I fixed the starter on my 81 k20 but another problem. I have no Running lights, I pull the headlight knob and I have no running tail lights, no headlights, and no park lights, but my blinkers all work, and my brake lights work, what could be the problem? Is there a fuse or is it the dimmer switch or headlight switch. Oh and the dome light does turn on when I spin the knob all the way to left.

Actually I had it fixed for about 10 starts lmao still having trouble. I got an Autozone remanufactured starter rn but I've had 4 different types including a high torque mini starter and no luck with any of them

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
First this http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5220.0

what starter did you purchase? What was wrong with the old one? did you inspect the teeth on the flywheel or flexplate? Have you properly shimmed it? If so then make sure you got the correct starter.
Is an 81 k20 with a 350, I have an Autozone starter on it rn but have tried many different kinds and no luck, I've already replaced the flexplate thinking that was the problem and still doing it

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
Then it's either not properly shimmed or you have the wrong flexplate/starter combination. Is it 168 tooth ring gear?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
Then it's either not properly shimmed or you have the wrong flexplate/starter combination. Is it 168 tooth ring gear?
The starter that is on it was working before but the nose cone broke so I replaced the nose cone and before it never had shims. every different starter I've gotten has had the same gear on the starter and yes its a 168 tooth flexplate. Also idk if this is trivial information but there's only 4 bell housing bolts going into the block, if there is supposed to be 2 in the top there isn't

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »
6 bellhousing bolts.

Recheck the teeth and properly shim the starter. http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=20263.0
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)