Author Topic: wires and tubes going nowhere???  (Read 1617 times)

Offline BillWill

wires and tubes going nowhere???
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
1986 Chevy K10 w/ 305 and 700r trans
This used to be someone's hunting truck so it had a 3" lift and 33's on it when I bought it a few weeks ago.  I just got it back from the shop as I didn't have the knowledge to rebuild the transmission or differential but now that I was going to start with the basics I'm getting more confused as there seems to be wires and tubes going nowhere or are plugged so I kinda know they should go together but not sure what they were for so I'm looking for a bit of help/direction.  I have circled a few of the areas where I am having issues so any help is greatly appreciated as I would really love to start working more on my own vehicles (have not done anything beyond basic maintenance since I was in highschool 20 years ago).

If it makes a difference I don't care about emissions and would be just as happy getting rid of it as it is not needed due to age of vehicle and my county does not require emissions anyway.

1986 chevy K10 Scottsdale
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline BillWill

Re: wires and tubes going nowhere???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
I guess if it helps I can post what I know of each of the locations left to right:

1: extra inline plug of some sort and not sure where it goes or what it might be for as there is nothing close to match it to
2: plugged hose
3: grouping of (appearing to be at least) vacuum hoses that are all broken off
4: 2 nails plugging other hoses
5: another plug wrapped in electrical tape
6: like #1 it is an extra inline plug of some sort
7: vacuum lines that should link up but the side going to firewall is plugged
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline BillWill

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
closer views
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline BillWill

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
this is another pic that shows several of the items in question.  The plug (#2 I think) can be seen in the right side of this picture and it connects on the drivers side of engine to the same location as you can see a plug (cut and bent pipe basically) on the passenger side coming out from exhaust manifold.

*sorry for the numerous posts but I'm working and researching this still as I go along and trying to provide as much info as I can.
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's

Offline jrbarrie83

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »
I'm going to do my best to help, but I may very well be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so. #1 may be the lead to your AIR pump. Not sure which side of the engine it should have been on, but if you don't have one, this may be what it is for. #2 may either be one of the lines for the AIR pump as well, or a vent/vacuum line. Where does the metal pipe go that it connects to? This may help in narrowing it down. #3 looks like the lines that would connect to the MAP sensor, or perhaps an anti-diesel solenoid? #4 & 5 ... not sure. #6 looks like the lead to the A/C compressor, or perhaps if #5 is a port for a missing sensor of some sort, maybe it goes to that. #6, again not sure. Where do the two pieces go? What each end is attached to will definitely help figure it out. All of this will also be much easier to figure out with a Chassis Service Manual. I will send you a private message to help in getting one. Another thing would be to ask the group here for some pics of someone's engine who has the same year and accessories to compare to.

Jim

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »
The red wire and blue connector is the alternator.
The Green wire and the black wire is the Air Conditioner
The plug with the nails in it the plug with the 3 holes appear to go it in.
The one with the hose and a clamp by the exhaust is an AIR pump.

Offline BillWill

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
while replacing the water pump I figured I would continue to look over everything and try to see what there are extra connections.

I do not have any extra connections on my alternator to allow that plug to connect (have to look into what that plug is for and where it goes to see if I need to buy a new alternator)

I finally found the plug on my A/C compressor (literally covered with mud so I couldn't see it) but since I am missing a blower fan completely and it is unlikely the A/C is charged I'm going to leave it off for now. 

I am completely missing the AIR pump so for now there is no need to worry about the plugged hoses either.

I have to admit that I did not anticipate this type of 'project' truck when I bought it but at the same time it gives me a break from the daily grind, somewhere to get away to, something else to learn about and eventually something to have pride in.
305 w/700r w/np208 w/AC
3.73 gears 10 bolt rear
3" lift on 33's