Author Topic: '86 Olds 442 - valve cover gasket change/oil smoke  (Read 2121 times)

Offline jrbarrie83

'86 Olds 442 - valve cover gasket change/oil smoke
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
So I finally changed the valve cover gaskets on my Olds. It was smoking pretty good from under the hood, so I figured it was time. I completed the job yesterday, but when I ran it I found oil pouring out of the driver's side. Took it apart again today and lo and behold the gasket had caught when trying to get the cover back in place and wasn't seated properly. I fixed it this morning and ran it for a good while. It smoked nicely at first, burning off what was leaked yesterday. But now it's still smoking somewhat from around the heat stove. I'm going to get my dad's torque wrench to make sure I have the bolts tightened properly. It doesn't appear as though oil is still seeping out, but it's very hard to tell. So ..... my actual question is, is there anywhere else oil could be leaking from in this area other than the valve cover gasket? It seems to mostly be coming from the housing around the heat stove.

Thanks!
Jim

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: '86 Olds 442 - valve cover gasket change/oil smoke
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
Jim, can you post a pic?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
i'm not real familiar with Olds engines and this is an outside shot, but check the dipstick and the dipstick tube (especially where it goes into the block).

Offline jrbarrie83

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
I will check the dipstick, thanks. However it sits below where the smoke appears to be coming from, so I'm not too optimistic on that. Otherwise I will try to get a decent pic in a couple days - working all weekend and early on Monday, so it probably won't be until Tuesday.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »
It sounds like you had a good amount of oil leak out. Even if you degrease it and wash it, it will burn off for a while.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
It sounds like you had a good amount of oil leak out. Even if you degrease it and wash it, it will burn off for a while.

Yes, and here is another outside shot:  Again i'm not familiar where the oil filter is on olds engines, but if the oil filter is leaking or the oil sender is leaking, then the oil could get on the flexplate, which could sling the oil any which way----possibly onto the exhaust manifold---hence smoke.

Offline jrbarrie83

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks guys. I did lose probably a quart of oil, so there probably is a good bit to burn off totally. I guess I'll just give it some time and see if it diminishes.