Author Topic: Defrost ductwork removal  (Read 3262 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Defrost ductwork removal
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
I am looking to pull the defrost ductwork in order to replace the insulation behind it.  Mice got in the truck and used the insulation for bedding.  So I have cleaned up the mess, plugged the hole in the firewall so they can't get back in, and am now down to the last few chores, including replacing the insulation on the firewall in behind the dash and behind the defroster ducts.  Looks like the only way to get the defroster duct out is to drop the heater distributor module, which involves dropping the right fender so as to remove the nuts from the bottom studs.  I am leaning more and more towards cutting the insulation in smaller pieces and sliding in behind the ductwork.  My question is...does anybody know of an easier way to get the ductwork out?  I don't see any other way but before I go to either of the above choices I thought I would check with the forum.  thanks for any inputs.

ricky
Ricky

Offline Mechanized

Re: Defrost ductwork removal
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
I just tore my whole interior apart; that thing in the right kick panel that leads into the right fender just unbolted - I thought that was just a fresh air/cab air vent to open close? Then inside the right fender there is nothing - its empty other than a plastic or tar piece hanging to direct air to firewall area, then it has the opening cut in the firewall for the circulation fan - which I pulled that fan out from the engine compartment. So not sure if I'm confusing your question, but thats basically what I saw there.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
The insulation is one piece, so if u are replacing with a factory Repo insulation it is behind the heater box also so the heater box needs to come out anyways.

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
I am not replacing the insulation that the heater box sets on top of.  I am replacing the insulation above that.  (Not sure if it was stock but it runs behind the defrost duct so it probably is stock).  That being said I finally dropped the right inner fender so I could get to the lower studs on the heater box and remove them.  Then I had to remove the dash board support bracket from the firewall and the dash board so I could drop the box out.  Good thing I did as I found evidence of heater core leaking.  Best to get it now.  Thanks for the inputs!!

ricky
Ricky

Offline Mechanized

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
I am not replacing the insulation that the heater box sets on top of.  I am replacing the insulation above that.  (Not sure if it was stock but it runs behind the defrost duct so it probably is stock).  That being said I finally dropped the right inner fender so I could get to the lower studs on the heater box and remove them.  Then I had to remove the dash board support bracket from the firewall and the dash board so I could drop the box out.  Good thing I did as I found evidence of heater core leaking.  Best to get it now.  Thanks for the inputs!!

ricky

Ricky, I just removed my defrost ductwork completely without touching the heater box unit or its attached duct system at all; I already had my dash out and just muscled the defrost ducts out - larger right one I removed by dropping out under the glovebox area. May replace the Jute on mine too, but heater box and then fuse box area stuff looks like a real job.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:30:26 PM by Mechanized »

Offline Mechanized

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:31:41 PM »
The insulation is one piece, so if u are replacing with a factory Repo insulation it is behind the heater box also so the heater box needs to come out anyways.

Exactly, guess he is doing it piece meal in areas or something? That heater box looks like a real pain!

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
Yes..the lower insulation is in one piece and the heater box would have to come out to replace it.  The insulation the mice got to is above that on the upper part of the firewall.  I pulled the heater box (dropped right inside fender well to get access to that one of the two bottom nuts).  Found the heater core was leaking.  I hadn't noticed any smell but it definitely showed signs of a leak so I replaced it.  I had to replace insulation around the box as well, but I already had some, so I pulled the insulation off of the back of the pad and glued new stuff in place.  Way easier than replacing the whole blanket.  Anyway, replaced the insulation above, in behind the defrost duct and around behind the steering column and all.  Used spray carpet glue from NAPA auto parts.  In reassembly now.  Heater box is in.  As long as the coolant is drained I am replacing the radiator hoses.  New heater hoses.  I should be back on the road today if there aren't too many other honey does around here today.  Then I need to recharge the air conditioner with envirosafe for the summer.  I will most likely have the air conditioner gone through this year as well. 

cheers!
Ricky