Author Topic: Heater core copper/brass or aluminum  (Read 2514 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Heater core copper/brass or aluminum
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »
I took out my heater core in order to replace the insulation on the upper part of the firewall behind the dash.  Mice got into the truck and used it for bedding.  (I had to get behind the defroster vents so one thing led to another).  Anyway, the heater core shows evidence of leaking so I will replace it now.  Which is more durable?  Brass/copper or aluminum?  My intuition is that the brass/copper is going to stand up better.  I would appreciate your experience and suggestions.

thanks,

ricky
Ricky

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
Re: Heater core copper/brass or aluminum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
I think either one would be just fine. I haven't bought one for several yrs. but they only had copper for my 85' back then.
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Please include Year, Make, Model etc.. when posting

Use a brass core.  They are less susceptible to electrolysis etching.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
Thanks much.  So I have seen brass heater cores at autozone for around 30 bucks, or from the classic truck online stores for around 100 plus shipping.  Do you really get what you pay for in this case or would I be just as happy with the autozone core?  Just can't imagine the 100 dollar unit is that much better.  On the other hand if the 30 dollar one leaks in a few years I will wish I spent the extra bucks now.  Also if the 100 dollar one leaks in a few years I will be looking in the mirror seeing a jackass.  The labor involved in a heater core on this rig is relatively extensive. 
Ricky