Author Topic: Oil Pressure Sensors Help  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Mechanized

Oil Pressure Sensors Help
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »
I have an 1981 C10 350 V8 w/ Electric Choke Quadrajet. The previous owners removed stock oil & temp sending units for dash gauges and were just using aftermarket; Is the oil pressure dash gauge sensor on a 1981 supposed to be on that brass L piece coming on out of the block behind the distributor?

Also, there is a 2nd smaller sensor showing up on parts lists for the truck, I assume an idiot light oil sensor, they have both 1 and 2 prong types listed for the truck; however, my dash does not have an idiot light or oil light at all - it does have a "Choke" light; I've read on other forums this idiot oil swtich could be related to controlling the choke - but not sure if that applies to 1981; my manuals wiring diagram shows an oil sensor switch wired to the choke heater somehow, but hard to understand. So question is on a 1981 did it even use the smaller idiot light oil sensor? (not to be confused with the larger pressure sensor, which the gauge does need obviously)  And if so was it 1 or 2 prong and where would you place it? The brass L piece out of my block can only accept one fitting. As far as wiring I have found a wire directly from that "Choke" light on dash into the engine compartment that is cut, also have a few other cut wires not sure what they're for though.

Appreciate any help guys.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:49:55 PM by Mechanized »

Offline srozell

• Registered Users
    • My 1980 Chevy
Re: Oil Pressure Sensors Help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:49:44 PM »
I can verify that the oil pressure sensor is indeed on the brass L thing coming out of the block behind the distributor.

I'm not sure about the rest.
1980 K20 "Camper Special"
1969 K20 Step Side
http://myuglytruck.wordpress.com/