Author Topic: Truck stolen then recovered and need help with steering column/ignition  (Read 3141 times)

Offline LongbedRed

Truck has a busted steering column from being stolen. Now the have no key and no way to crank it. The column was busted with something like a hammer and then the lever/slide was pulled up to crank. That is now broken as well and I need to be able to crank the truck and move it before I can put a new column in.
Perhaps a universal 4way switch on the dash and I'd be happy. I could " figure it out" bit I thought I'd ask the guru's to chime in. I found the wiring schematics here and to me it appears there is more than one way it could be done.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Is it really your truck? Post some pics of the truck and the damage to the column. I don't think we want to give advice to the guy who actually stole it. We have to look out for our truck brothers and this is your first post with no introductory.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline LongbedRed

Trying to upload pics now

Offline LongbedRed

Really....my last post was 15 seconds ago and so it just stops working all together

Offline LongbedRed

Even though I'm quickly posting in less than 15 sec
Really....my last post was 15 seconds ago and so it just stops working all together
But let all this post just fine

Offline LongbedRed

Anywho, enough making my point

Can't post pics til this site takes bigger pics than a frikken kB. All mine are MB+ Regardless that proves nothing. I can take a pic of a stolen truck just as easy as i can any other. I'll try and find a way to take smaller pics and  appease your concerns. Til then I'm lucky it's a toy and not my 86(lwb)
Even though I'm quickly posting in less than 15 sec
But let all this post just fine

Offline LongbedRed

OK I think  got this. Downloaded an app.

Offline LongbedRed

Here's the damage

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
So you can do as your thief did and manually actuate the ignition switch to start it or you can use a remote switch to jump B+ to the S terminal of the starter solenoid as long as the ignition switch is in the on position.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline LongbedRed

There is no ignition switch left and the actuator broke down inside the column. It's OK though. I've already wired a switch in. I was just in search of a few pointers and found it easier to figure out than expected. Thanks.