Author Topic: Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions  (Read 2250 times)

Offline RADustin

Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
Hi all,

New to site, you guys seem to have many of the answers.  Google searches take me here often. 

I picked up a new cab to start my restoration of my previously 'restored' '76 C20 3+3.  My current cab has already been patched terribly and un-safe.  The floor supports are cut back, and never extended again to meet the inner rockers- and many of the panels are overlapped and just put in as quick as possible.  Plus, being from up north most of the cab seams are rusty beyond what I'm looking to fix. 

Fast forward to this weekend, I picked up a new cab(with title) to start fresh with.  The cab has more rust than I was hoping it had, but the guy worked on the price with me and I took it home anyways.  So it's mine to sort out now.  The metal work needed is no problem, I just need to know what it's supposed to look like.  My original '76 has a botched job, so I can't look on it for what is supposed to be factory. 

This cab rusted from having the windows down for an extended period of time along with clogged up cowl vents at the bottom.  So typical bottom up rocker rust is not there, but top down edge of floor pan and rocker rust is present.  Cab supports are 100% clean along with all the sheetmetal 4" up from the floor.  And the dash is uncut :party36:

My question- do the rear rockers look patched to you guys??  Obviously I can see a seam where a rocker was put on.  Both sides match perfectly- so either they were replaced by the same guy at the same time or the factory did it.  Also on the inners, it looks like you can see where the old inner rocker was and somebody cut it off to a flange, and welded new inners over the top.  This is, of course, unless this is how it was done factory? 

I see   and brothers selling 1 piece crew cab rockers.  Were the factory rockers 1 piece? 

Does anyone have similar pictures of a crewcab they know is untouched? 

Pics-

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
That is not factory. The factory produced a solid structure and those are replacement panels that were put on and not very nicely. If it's just surface rust, you can sand blast, weld up and rework them or just start over. Either way the doors need to be on for you to properly install.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RADustin

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
would you have any pictures of what it's supposed to look like? 

I'm going to go with the cut out and replace method.  I'm still looking for doors- so I'll have to wait until I find some doors to get working.  I need all four 73-76 doors.  77+ doors are everywhere.  the 73-76 ones are impossible to find. 

There are those seams in the front inner rocker panel as well- are those not factory? 

Are the rockers supposed to be seam sealed to the floor right by the weatherstrip piece of metal that is bent up off the rocker?  Seems like if this seam seal wasn't there the water would have run off the floor into the rockers and out the cab...but this would have also been a large air void and a place the cab would have leaked if the seam seal wasn't there from the rockers back up into the truck. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:48:47 AM by RADustin »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:55:47 PM »
Yes there should be seam sealer. I don't have crew cab pics but they look the same as a regular cab. The only visible seam is the door seal lip. I'm sure there are others who can share pix.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RADustin

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
got it. 

Using some pics I scrounged up from around the net I think the general consensus is it's all factory.  Very strange though considering how pieced together it appears.