Author Topic: Identity Crisis  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Lando

Identity Crisis
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
First post here and figure before I get more involved with the site I should know exactly what it is that I'm driving.  Bit of background here..  Bought a "1978 Chevy K10 Silverado" Did a vin check on site to be sure of what I was getting and all checked out. It is indeed what seller had claimed it to be.  Being a long time lurker I have seen a bunch of the '87's on the site that look very similar to my truck most, specifically the headlights.  I'm not sure if I just picked up a mutt with a mixture of '87 and '78.  Who here can help me identify what I've actually got here? The truck in my profile picture is the one in question. 
I can post more photos if that helps.  Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:18:25 PM by Lando »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Identity Crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area.  Looks like some PO swapped a 81-87 clip on it.  If you want help figuring out you'll have to post some pictures
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Lando

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area.  Looks like some PO swapped a 81-87 clip on it.  If you want help figuring out you'll have to post some pictures

Thank you for the reply I kind of figured as much. I'll get a few more up when I make it home today. Just trying to become as knowledgeable as I can with very little experience.  I catch on extremely quick.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »

Thank you for the reply I kind of figured as much. I'll get a few more up when I make it home today. Just trying to become as knowledgeable as I can with very little experience.  I catch on extremely quick.

VIN location, what was done to cab to accept the hood hinges, location of light and windshield wiper switch tells a lot.  Subtle changes over the years help ID what someone may have done to upgrade or replace rusted parts.  81 on up lightened things up on frame and thickness of windows.  Wing window latches changed...
Carl 

Offline Lando

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »
VIN location
Hood hinges
Light/windshield wiper switch
Wing window latch

Hope these photos help you help me haha

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »
Looks to be a 78 with a 87 front clip as you suspected
Carl 

Offline Lando

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
Nice! Now I can order some much needed parts. I appreciate your insight.

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:05 AM »
Welcome to the site, and nice looking truck.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
first welcome from maryland

one thing youll find is most of these parts can just be swapped around and done so youll only notice if they forgot a small detail. your bezel style only came in the 78-80 style same with the latch. the dimmer switch in the floor is the right location. something to look at is the rivets on the vin plate, but even that can be faked. if they have round heads they've been replaced if the heads have flat edges then they could be OEM or OEM replacements or even made at home. the trim on the side of the truck isnt correct but its only sticky stuff so that can be put on my anyone. the 73-80 trim should be the two piece metal trim that runs parallel down the side. i would look for holes in the body but they can be filled. maybe they changed it to match the front trim. that bumper would be correct for the 73-80

i dont know about that seat belt
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lando

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
The rivets do have flat edges. There are no holes where the original trim should be, but I assume them to be filled and covered. Pretty confident in this being a 78 now. Thank you all from Arizona

Offline blazer74

Identity Crisis
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
Rivets look correct best I can tell.

Frame rail on top adjacent to the exhaust manifold might be there and have a number that is like the one on the door jam matching the frame to the cab.

Vent window handles are early style as we'll as front bumper that was mentioned.

Door panels?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:16:15 AM by blazer74 »

Offline Lando

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
first welcome from maryland

one thing youll find is most of these parts can just be swapped around and done so youll only notice if they forgot a small detail. your bezel style only came in the 78-80 style same with the latch. the dimmer switch in the floor is the right location. something to look at is the rivets on the vin plate, but even that can be faked. if they have round heads they've been replaced if the heads have flat edges then they could be OEM or OEM replacements or even made at home. the trim on the side of the truck isnt correct but its only sticky stuff so that can be put on my anyone. the 73-80 trim should be the two piece metal trim that runs parallel down the side. i would look for holes in the body but they can be filled. maybe they changed it to match the front trim. that bumper would be correct for the 73-80

i dont know about that seat belt
Something like this?

Offline Lando

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »
Rivets look correct best I can tell.

Frame rail on top adjacent to the exhaust manifold might be there and have a number that is like the one on the door jam matching the frame to the cab.

Vent window handles are early style as we'll as front bumper that was mentioned.

Door panels?
Couldn't find that print by the manifold or anywhere else on the frame without removing anything.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »
Not always there but the left side (drivers)