Author Topic: The Clock  (Read 2412 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
The Clock
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
I have a 1974 Chevy C10 stepside.  The gauge housing was falling apart.  I found a gauge housing from a 1973 in much better shape, but it had a clock.  Also the "original" gauge housing was not from a 1974 or a 1973 model.  It has a voltmeter instead of an ammeter and the truck was rewired to compensate.  (assuming 1974 came with an ammeter?  maybe somebody out there knows for sure, the wiring diagram calls an ammeter).  I ended up transferring the printed circuit over to the 1973 housing and putting a couple of extra holes in the housing to get the extra lights, and the voltmeter to work.  I also replace all of the 194 bulbs with super bright LEDs.  Anyway...after installing wiring for the clock I plugged it in and of course it did not clock.  But it looked good so I was happy....for a part of a day.  Finally tore it out and opened it up.  Found the  points open wide and if I manually moved the balance wheel, (gently), the movement would run until the points closed.  Then I applied 12VDC and the clock "rewound" as advertised.  I took it to a clock/watch repair shop and they told me that because there was no way to disassemble (staked instead of screwed), they could not repair.  Nothing to lose now so I sprayed the movement with WD40 silicone spray.  (Not supposed to gum).  Gently moved the balance wheel back and forth until it started running on its own.  You can manually move the points open so I did that every time it ran down and sprayed heavy.  It has been running 3 days now and keeps perfect time.  Filed the points flat and reinstalled.  Looks great and runs perfectly.  Now to install the new dash pad! 

Cheers
Ricky

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: The Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
sounds like a satisfying job, good job
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline srozell

• Registered Users
    • My 1980 Chevy
Re: The Clock
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
Sometimes I read posts like this and I feel like a caveman.

Well done man.
1980 K20 "Camper Special"
1969 K20 Step Side
http://myuglytruck.wordpress.com/