Author Topic: Noob Here Needing All sorts of guidence  (Read 5220 times)

Offline EngineeringSquatch

Re: Noob Here Needing All sorts of guidence
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
My plan is to pull the dually fenders off and drive it as is for the mean time. I know the bed has been cut but I will either put bushwacker fender flares over it or replace the sides eventually. I also got a bunch of pictures today which may help with the diagnosis a little better. The 4 wheel drive system still baffles me.

Below you can see the side that was widened and how the other side hasn't been. I was wondering how bad of an idea it would be to just buy a 3" wheel spacer slap it on the one side and forget about it.

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
here are some more pics

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
and more

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
and more

Offline DustyRusty

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
"...the guy has two 14 bolt rear-ends 3:73 and 4:10 225$ a piece. "

IMO, those prices seem okay if they are full floaters.  And, as said, determine what ratio the front axle has so they match.

"I was wondering how bad of an idea it would be to just buy a 3" wheel spacer slap it on the one side and forget about it."

IMO, I would not do that.  They were likely trying to correct a perceived problem by jerry-rigging a solution.  It's a poor fix at best and a safety hazard at worst.  I would recommend one of the two axles you have located if in otherwise good condition.

I think it's worth fixing.  Keep up the good work.
1975 K-10 SWB Fleetside - 350/SM465/NP205/D44F 12-boltR, 3.73 gears.  Original owner.
Customized by rust.

Offline North Central Ohio

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 01:34:21 AM »
I live around the Marion county area. That's good you're tryin to contact the original owner. It does seem weird that your truckd be a doully w only a 292. I took my dash off to replace the dash lights and redo the heater duct seals(foam) and my bare dash looked similar and mines an '86. Keep tryin the old owner man. I actually wouldn't wanna be in your shoes.lol

Offline North Central Ohio

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »
That is a pretty cool story btw

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
the 1 tons came with the 4.8 for years, think till the late 80s
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
Sorry I havent posted for a while. Been getting settled into my new house and back to work. Anyways I picked up some interior parts and fixed the inside up a little bit. The dash I bought was all cracked but nothing a little bondo and bedliner couldnt fix. Thought I would share the results. I bought the entire interior of another truck for 100$ so I thought I did pretty good

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
Oh man does this look like all kinds of fun, based on what you've posted your truck started life as a 1 ton C30 2wd and was "bubba'd" into a dually (Bubba'd lol i think i gonna steal this) by way of what appears to be a NP205 part time transfer case a Dana 44 front axle from a full time 4x4 (np203) single rear wheel truck and the original Corporate 14 bolt full floater rear axle appears to have been widened to the width of a Dana 70 DRW pickup truck axle. If you want to pull the dually flares you can but you will have massive cutout wheel wells as if you were trying to fit massive tires without lift not the small square wheel wells of the dually flares or the front end, if your going to go back to SRW than by all means i would find a replacement SRW axle (I would replace that axle just because someone widened it and i don't know who did it or how well and wouldn't be able to trust it) with the gear ratio matched to your front axle unless you find a matched set (front and rear axles from the same truck) for a good price. I would also recommend you look into getting a set of manual locking front hubs you will get slightly better MPG and have less wear and tear on internal front axle components, however to turn on 4x4 you would need to get out and turn the hubs on as well as shift the transfer case.
I never realized that Oshawa trucks got sold in the US, I always figured that with all the plants in the US the Oshawa plant just built trucks for Canada, learn something new everyday.
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater