Author Topic: 700r4 question  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
700r4 question
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
My 87 350 tbi short box has a 700r4. Just had the tv cable adjusted. When flooring accelerator,
There is no passing gear or down shifting. Is there supposed to be either? It shifts good, but I
Think  it stays in 2nd gear too long. Ideas?
Jerry

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 700r4 question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
there should be a kick down. ive heard of the cable breaking or becoming detached inside of the trans. im no expert on these trans and ive never even touched one. but use the search button and see what you can find
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
My 87 350 tbi short box has a 700r4. Just had the tv cable adjusted. When flooring accelerator,
There is no passing gear or down shifting. Is there supposed to be either? It shifts good, but I
Think  it stays in 2nd gear too long. Ideas?

You had it adjusted or adjusted it yourself? Which way did you go, tighter or looser? Was it fine before the adjustment? Why did you have it adjusted?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bnoggle

700r4 question
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
If it is a HEI distributor, you could try replacing the electronics under the distributor cap. Sometimes they can cause shifting problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:27:59 PM by bnoggle »

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
I had it adjusted and he adjusted it looser by 1/4". It was shifting into 2nd gear with a Big Bang,
Like a shift kit would. Now it shifts more like normal. It could stand a little more adjustment.
It won't downshift over 50.i talked to him today and he will check it out next week. Will keep
All advised.
Jerry

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »
I've never had any luck using the search button. I guess I must be doing something wrong.
Jerry

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
i always use the search button i pointed out to you before in the menu bar. just type "broken tv cable" or "700r4 wont kick down" and leave the "By user" alone, unless you want to specifically search for something someone said. then type "irish_alley*" leave the asterisk at the end of the name

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bnoggle

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
I had the exact same problem about a year ago. I replaced the TV cable first, and the problem didn't go away. I then rebuilt the transmission thinking there could be a problem with the TCC solenoid. It did shift smoother after the rebuild but something was definitely still wrong with downshifts above 45. Someone suggested I try retiming it, and replacing the distributor electronics. That definitely fixed the problem. Unless the tv cable seems excessively loose (easy to move with clamp loosened) I highly doubt it is broken off. If I were you I would start with the distributor, then move to the tv cable, and if that doesn't work drop the transmission pan and replace the TCC solenoid.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
Irish alley--sorry I didn't understand before. I was entering my name in the "by user " section.
I will try to remember next time. Thanks.      Jerry

Bnoogle-- I think I have orig HEI distributor in my truck . What is all involved in replacing all electrical parts or what I may need in the dist? Do I Ned to take it out of truck. Also, what
Initial timing do I need? Anything else?  Thanks.    Jerry
Jerry

Offline bnoggle

700r4 question
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
For 2 of the parts you unscrew then and replace them, they are under the rotor. They are called the ignition control module, and  the radio control resistor which sits next to it. Also the electronic ignition coil should be replaced with a new one. There is no reason to remove this distributor unless you decide to chance the pickup, in which case I recommend buying a new distributor. They are relatively inexpensive and simple to install.

Timing is written on a sticker under your hood. Mine is 10 degrees before TDC but it varies between years. If the shifting is still hard try advancing the timing a bit at a time (counter clockwise) until it gets better. Mine runs best at 12 degrees before TDC, but yours may be different. Play with it a bit. 

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:15:03 AM by bnoggle »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
Irish alley--sorry I didn't understand before. I was entering my name in the "by user " section.
I will try to remember next time. Thanks.      Jerry
i can see how easy that would be to get confused. but think of everything there as a filter

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
I am hearing a lot of all over the place in here.

The ignition control module has nothing to do with the shift points in a  tbi 700R4 application. Perhaps you are thinking about an ESC system and a TH350c TCS.

You should reset the TV cable and check the governor valve.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline CP1

• New Users
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
Go to the website Bow tie Overdrives. They have an excellent article on TV 101 for the 700R4. It is a 3 part series. Once you read that it all becomes clear. Thanks.

Offline ethomse1

• New Users
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »
I had it adjusted and he adjusted it looser by 1/4". It was shifting into 2nd gear with a Big Bang,
Like a shift kit would. Now it shifts more like normal. It could stand a little more adjustment.
It won't downshift over 50.i talked to him today and he will check it out next week. Will keep
All advised.
It should mimic a shift down from OD to 3rd if the brake is applied.  Firmer 1-2 shift is more ideal as far as functionality goes. If it's really hard your trans may be requiring a rebuild our at least a valve spring adjustment inside the valve body

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:51:08 PM by ethomse1 »