Author Topic: Aftermarket Radio question  (Read 2712 times)

Offline 1979SIERRAGRANDE

Aftermarket Radio question
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
Im wiring in a Sony XB100BT it has a built in amplifier that puts out 100wattsX4 it has this funky looking 15 amp fuse that needs to be connected to a constant power to keep memory i was reading the manual that if the radio needs more  power that it can be  run to a wire directly to the battery in this case if i were to go that route that the gauge wire goes from 12 gauge on one end of the fuse to 14 gauge will i create any resistance if i run a 10 gauge wire from the battery to the 14 gauge side and should i need another fuse in-between that? thanks look forward to a reply.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Aftermarket Radio question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »
Simple answer - Adding a 10 gauge wire and another fuse won't cause any problems.

Your truck has a 12 volt power junction on the firewall right next to the brake booster.  You could run your power wire right to that junction, and it is already connected to the battery with a 10 gauge wire and fusible link.  The only downside is that you are now drawing the amp power through the same wire as the power for your dash and other accessories, and with a big amp it might exceed the capacity of the original 10 gauge wire

For convenience, I picked up one of the OEM power junctions (like the one on your firewall) and mounted it on the passenger side fender near the battery.  I then ran a 10 gauge wire with a fusible link from the battery right over to that junction.  Now I use the junction to power my headlight relays and as a connection point for my battery tender cable.

Bruce

Offline 1979SIERRAGRANDE

Re: Aftermarket Radio question
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »
Simple answer - Adding a 10 gauge wire and another fuse won't cause any problems.

Your truck has a 12 volt power junction on the firewall right next to the brake booster.  You could run your power wire right to that junction, and it is already connected to the battery with a 10 gauge wire and fusible link.  The only downside is that you are now drawing the amp power through the same wire as the power for your dash and other accessories, and with a big amp it might exceed the capacity of the original 10 gauge wire

For convenience, I picked up one of the OEM power junctions (like the one on your firewall) and mounted it on the passenger side fender near the battery.  I then ran a 10 gauge wire with a fusible link from the battery right over to that junction.  Now I use the junction to power my headlight relays and as a connection point for my battery tender cable.

Bruce
The amp is built into the head unit if I were to do that way would I need a fuse in the 10 gauge wire going from the battery I've tried looking around all that I could find is yes and it should be next to the battery but if I do the junction block idea should I have one right at the junction block or can I have a fusible link there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk