Author Topic: Is It Dead?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline 85K10_in_KC

Is It Dead?
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
Hello fellow Square Body lovers,

Just wanted to poll you fella's and get your take on if my 700R4 is toast?  My sweetheart is an 85" K10 Long Bed.

Problem started with the left rear locking up while shifting out of drive to OD.  Was told to change the wheel cylinders, which I did, tested it while on jack stands, seemed ok and took it for a test drive.

Got out on the main road and as it was shifting into OD there was a loud pop a brief lockup of the rear wheels and then seemed ok?  Pulled into a parking lot got out and visually inspected the underside and everything seemed fine.

Put it in drive to take off and got nothing,  truck would only move in 1st and Reverse.  Is my 700R4 toast and needing rebuilt now?

A little backstory - I replaced the old 305 with a fresh 350 two months back and up till now everything has worked great.  Any advice is greatly appreciate gent's!

Thanks - K10_in_Kc

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Is It Dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
Sounds like you need to reinspect your brakes.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »
with vile. not sure if somehow you killed the trans in the process but it seams like you do have a brake issue
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 85K10_in_KC

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
Thanks for the Feedback Irish and Vile.

I bled everything per the book, brake pedal feels good, not tight or spongy.  When the truck is in Drive it will actually roll backwards in my driveway.  When I give her some gas, it acts like it wants to move forward, but still rolls backward (driveway slopes down).

Truck seems to pull just fine in 1st Gear as well as in Reverse, but has no power in 2nd-OD.  Lord, I hope its not toast.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:20:23 PM »
i would take the brake drum off the left rear and inspect that. again in my opinion you might have two issues one being a issue with your brakes the other would be the trans.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
Thanks for the Feedback Irish and Vile.

I bled everything per the book, brake pedal feels good, not tight or spongy.  When the truck is in Drive it will actually roll backwards in my driveway.  When I give her some gas, it acts like it wants to move forward, but still rolls backward (driveway slopes down).

Truck seems to pull just fine in 1st Gear as well as in Reverse, but has no power in 2nd-OD.  Lord, I hope its not toast.

It's gonna be toast if your brakes are dragging that bad. So you say it rolls backwards, Is it rolling forward too?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 85K10_in_KC

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »
Thanks again for the responses, I still havent figured it out.  Yes, it still moves just fine in 1st and Reverse only.  It feels like it wants to move in 2nd, drive and OD, but doesn't.

I am still baffled and hate to just throw parts at it.  Any experts in the Kansas City area willing to help point a brother in the right direction?