Author Topic: Why is there different designation on c10 trucks  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Spoonbill

Why is there different designation on c10 trucks
« on: August 20, 2017, 11:55:24 PM »
All of my life I have only known our trucks to be known as c10, c20 or c30. When you go to look up anything there is now v's & r's? Like my truck, it is known as an r10. Since when did all of this happen and why??

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Why is there different designation on c10 trucks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:36:11 AM »
GM had an established history of successfully marketing "C" and "K" Series light duty trucks.  When GM was about to release their newer, rounded body style in 1988, they wanted to continue to use the "C" and "K" designations.  Unfortunately, there was an overlap in production, so that the full line of new truck body styles was released progressively over several years.  During the interim period beginning in 1987 when both body styles were in production, GM determined to change the "squarebody" truck designations to "R" and "V".  So it was a simple matter of marketing strategy due to delayed (blundered) roll out of the complete line at one time.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline blazer74

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:58:45 AM »
R and V new designation for 2 and 4 wheel drive beginning in 1987 with fuel injection transitioning in 1988 with the round-eye body style Generation 4 trucks for the exception of the Blazer and Suburban which kept the square style body thru 91.

Offline Spoonbill

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the info guys