Author Topic: Dash Gauge Cluster Connector Wiring  (Read 11058 times)

Offline dihugo

• New Users
Dash Gauge Cluster Connector Wiring
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
My son bought a 1976 C10.  Me (Dad) is helping fix it up.  The dash gauges are not working.  It didn't take long to figure out that the previous owner replaced the dash gauge cluster with a 1977 (with gauges).  But the wiring harness is a 1977 for the dummy light gauge cluster.  I know what wires should go where.  My question is about wiring harness plug in.  Has anybody actually removed the wires from the plug-in connector and moved them to another location?  I can't just cut and splice as the empty slots don't match.  I can't really see how the wires are held in place in the connector.

An alternative would be a replacement gauge connector with the correct wiring, but not the whole harness.  Has anybody seen just the connector with sections of wires?  Best case would be one with the correct wire colors and locations for my 1977 (with gauges), but even a generic one with wires in all 18 slots.

Thanks for any tips!!  Our journey is just beginning!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Dash Gauge Cluster Connector Wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »
The cluster connector and terminals are available as a kit.  There is a small tang on the back of each terminal that needs to be depressed with a thin flat tool (image).  The wire and terminal can then be removed from the back of the connector.

You may find Dash Cluster Pin Diagrams to be a beneficial resource.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dihugo

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:10:15 AM »
BD,

That is perfect.  I will try and pull the wires out from the existing connector and relocate.  Worst case at least I can buy that generic replacement connector.

Thanks again.

Offline Riptor98

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »
Wow I don't know what I would do without this website. I literally had this same exact problem. The harness was connected to a instrument cluster for a 78-80 C10 when I have a 74. Thanks for that diagram you posted!