Author Topic: 79 GMC grille  (Read 22934 times)

Offline Big Chip

Re: 79 GMC grille
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
Thank you. I searched for a while for one and ended up finding this on Craigslist in Oregon. I made the deal, bought a one way ticket and hoped for the best. I drove it 2800 miles back to Michigan and only had a couple issues. Leaking carb gasket and one of the plug wires came off. Used a LOT of gas on the way back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blazer74

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
 Awesome Truck!

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 07:27:13 AM »
Hi again, Big Chip:
Another avenue of search: there are still junkyards out there that are family owned with difficult to find websites. They are typically in the rural areas and have the older model vehicles. I found a great one in my neck of the woods by googling salvage yards near me...then by asking these guys whom else they could suggest had the old trucks, they led me through a series of phone calls till I found a junkyard out in the sticks that had a cache of 1960s and 1970s trucks... this was a 1-1/2 hour drive for me but it was worth it as I found a couple of parts for my 76 C-20. (I asked about your grille but they did not have any 1979 GMC grilles)...they did have a couple of 1960s and early 1980s GMCs but not many...maybe 3 or 4...maybe 2 70s GMC, but the grilles were missing. They had about 10 1970s Chevy trucks. So maybe you can find a junkyard like this outside of the city where you live.
Regards,
Henry
Yep

When you call a junkyard and they dont have what you're looking for
ALWAYS ask if they know who might have one

They will give you a couple phone numbers of other junkyards that you'd never find on google 

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
Thank you. I searched for a while for one and ended up finding this on Craigslist in Oregon. I made the deal, bought a one way ticket and hoped for the best. I drove it 2800 miles back to Michigan and only had a couple issues. Leaking carb gasket and one of the plug wires came off. Used a LOT of gas on the way back!

We got ours in AZ and had a friend who was coming east haul it on his trailer to Georgia

Glad we didn't try to drive it
It ran and drove but not safely or reliably

Needed new carb and entire new brake system and tires before it would be safe to drive

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »
I had a backup plan if it wasn’t roadworthy. I was going to buy another ticket back to Michigan and have it shipped. Or just not buy it. He had a fencing business so I gave him a deposit with a credit card and paid the balance in cash when I got there. I was prepared to forfeit the deposit though.  I guess I watched too many episodes of Roadkill and figured it would all work out somehow.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
I did find a junkyard that had the tailgate with the proper stainless trim on it about 2 hours from my house(now I just have to find a dually tailgate with the lights on it

Below is a thread on the tailgate lights that ought to be correct for your truck:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33003.msg280627#msg280627

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Thanks Jason. I was all over that thread before I found the tailgate I have. I didn’t want to pass up getting the right stainless trim in the center and figured I could either install lights or use the trim if I found a dually tailgate.

I appreciate the input! 

Offline roundhouse

79 GMC grille
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
We could have made it back
Would have required a new carb and tires and maybe a master cylinder but that's just an auto parts store and some hand tools and a used tire store

We did not look at the truck or get someone to look at it
But we only paid $1600 and $800 for transport

I figured at $1600 is wasn't worth a plane ticket

But I've seen people spend big money on a vehicle without flying to see it or having an independent mechanic to look at it

A plane ticket is cheap and if you like the vehicle you can buy it and take it to a storage unit until you can arrange transport or just rent U haul or Penske truck and a trailer and bring it back yourself of you don't think it will make the trip

A lot of smaller vehicles will fit inside a box truck

I've hauled more than one early bronco inside a 20 foot rental box  truck

The monster you bought wouldn't fit on most trailers and would be expensive to ship but making the drive back is usually an adventure

I've flown cross country and driven used 18 wheelers back home Many times

And no matter where you live the deals always seem to be thousands of miles away
We wanted one with as little rust as possible
And even in the south the Chevys are pretty rusty
Nothing like in places that use a lot of salt on the roads

I can swap an engine in a weekend , but replacing the cab corners would take me six months of weekends

We had several vehicles on the list of possible candidates
70-80 firebirds , 68-69 chevelles , 68-69 Mercury cyclone , 70-72 Monte Carlo

And the non rusty ones out west don't cost any more then where we live , only difference is the transport which is totally worth $800 to get a 35-40 year old vehicle with no rust
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:44:01 PM by roundhouse »

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
I certainly got lucky on this one and it was not even remotely big money.  I was looking at a couple in California and would have gotten them shipped if anyone could have actually come up with a title.  The cost was $1500ish so it ultimately would have been about the same as I spent on the ticket and the trip but I had time, the truck seemed decent and it seemed like fun.  FYI: It was great!

I am not a body man myself but I sure wish I were.  I almost always have the feeling I have been screwed when I leave the body shop. Maybe I am too critical or I don't convey the level of work I expect.   Maybe I am not spending enough money??

I would love to find a mid to late 70's Trans Am or early 70's Camaro.  I have really grown to appreciate the 70's stuff a lot more than I used to.  Maybe because I grew up with the 70's stuff. 

Offline roundhouse

79 GMC grille
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
I certainly got lucky on this one and it was not even remotely big money.  I was looking at a couple in California and would have gotten them shipped if anyone could have actually come up with a title.  The cost was $1500ish so it ultimately would have been about the same as I spent on the ticket and the trip but I had time, the truck seemed decent and it seemed like fun.  FYI: It was great!

I am not a body man myself but I sure wish I were.  I almost always have the feeling I have been screwed when I leave the body shop. Maybe I am too critical or I don't convey the level of work I expect.   Maybe I am not spending enough money??

I would love to find a mid to late 70's Trans Am or early 70's Camaro.  I have really grown to appreciate the 70's stuff a lot more than I used to.  Maybe because I grew up with the 70's stuff.
I love the late 60s and early 70s vehicles

Pretty much anything that was designed before 1973 is a stylish vehicle

I think in the early 70s they started using computers to design cars and instead of having some extra strength in the wheel bearings and stuff like that , they made em as small as possible and started using a lot of plastic for parts that should be metal

I love the cars where they wasted a lot of metal to get it to look a certain way

The firebirds and camaros are probably the largest car on the outside to be so small on the inside of any car ever made

And if you shop around you can still find some good deals on 70-80 firebirds that are not rusty and haven't been hacked up by some redneck teenager
  I've owned several firebirds
 Had a 70 Trans am and a 78 formula

The 70-73s are more expensive but the parts are all interchangeable

You can bolt a 70-73 nose on a 80
Only difference is the wraparound rear  window in 75
And to me  the dash and instruments in a Trans am is the most perfect dash ever made
All the gauges lined up, and the design in the fake metal bezel just can't be topped
The shaker scoop and T-tops ....

Not sure what part of the country you're in but you gotta cast a wide net

Im in Atlanta and on any used car , late model or a soon to be classic you have to get at least 100-150 miles away from any large city to find a deal

Take a look at a 64-66 thunderbird
There's a lot of metal used up just to get them to look a certain way
The doors are 11 inches thick

Yeah.   Body work is stupid expensive

I've done a LS  transplant

I've swapped automatics to five speeds etc

I'm worthless at bodywork
It might as well be brain surgery
And I'm pretty sure most body shop owners must earn as much as a brain surgeon based on the  rates they charge 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:14:40 AM by roundhouse »

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
These are the other classics in the fleet.  68 Chevelle that was my mom's and a 93 T/A I got in trade for a motorcycle.

I guess as far as bodywork goes, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. 

Looks like I can't post the pictures because they are over 500kbs.  I will keep trying

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

Offline Jason S

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »
Beech Musketeer in the hangar too?
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
Yes sir!  B19 Sport.

Offline Big Chip

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »