Author Topic: Gas Gage gave up  (Read 2791 times)

Offline murraygmc

• Frequent Member
  • 85 gmc 4x4
Gas Gage gave up
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
So I've got a 85 standard cab and a while back I noticed that when I get in my truck the gas gauge is setting a little above half ... But when I turn the key it starts moving past full and keeps going till it's setting about at the 3oclock position and stays there untill I shut the key off ... No matter what the actual fule level is that's what happens .... How do I fix this ? It's driving me crazy ..
85 gmc high serria 4x4

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Gas Gage gave up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
The needle position when the ignition is switched off is immaterial; it's just the rest position of the unpowered gauge.  The fuel gauge sweeping past full to 3:00 o'clock is due to an open in the wire running to the fuel tank sender or a faulty sender.  Temporarily ground the signal wire connecting to the fuel tank, turn the ignition on and describe what the fuel gauge does.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline murraygmc

• Frequent Member
  • 85 gmc 4x4
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Thanks I'll try that tonight when I get off work ... Should I be looking for a specific color wire I assume the sender unit is on top of the tank ? I also assume I can unplug said wire at the sender unit ?
85 gmc high serria 4x4

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »
Single or dual fuel tanks?  The fuel level sender is in the top of the fuel tank.  The signal wire from the sender is pink and may exhibit a white stripe.  It plugs onto a pin that protrudes from the top of the sender.  The black, blue or green wire connected to the sender frame is the sender ground and should be attached to the vehicle frame.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline murraygmc

• Frequent Member
  • 85 gmc 4x4
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »
Alright thanks I'll check it out tonight thanks for the quick response
Single tank
85 gmc high serria 4x4

Offline murraygmc

• Frequent Member
  • 85 gmc 4x4
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:41:20 PM »
Sorry got home and had a family emergency ... All is well bit it will be the weekend b,4 I can mess  with it.... I'll let you know what I find out
85 gmc high serria 4x4