Author Topic: Reverse light for three on the floor.  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Brady

Reverse light for three on the floor.
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
Another question about my 1973 K-10.  It came with a three speed, column shift.  A previous owner had changed it to a floor shift and just had a switch on the dash to turn the backup light on.  It is a Hurst shifter, but it is a generic one; evidently no one makes a dedicated shifter for this transmission.  We have a safety inspection here in WVa and I don't know if it will pass; they have been getting more and more strict.

Many years ago, I stole a plunger switch off of an old riding mower and it worked for several years.   I had it mounted somewhere underneath where it was activated by one of the shifter levers.  I am due for an inspection, so I was checking all of the lights and found that the backup lights no longer worked, except with the switch on the dash.  I had a guy replace the clutch and had him replace all of the seals, because he removed engine and transmission to do the work.  I don't know if the switch fell off, or if maybe he removed it.  He has gotten out of the mechanical work, so he doesn't answer his phone.

I searched and all I found was about the switch for the column shift at the lower end of the column.  I can't switch it back to a column shift, because something broke inside the column.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a switch that I could use and how I could mount it?

TIA,
Brady
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:42:50 PM by Brady »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Reverse light for three on the floor.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »
Reverse lights should be an option for safety inspection but a good thing to call on prior to going.  If needed you can fashion a bracket with a button switch as you suggested. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
Re: Reverse light for three on the floor.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
Depends on state, but most require reverse lights to only come on when in reverse and automatically go off when not in reverse.

That being said, I would look back into getting a switch back in the trqnsmission.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Brady

Re: Reverse light for three on the floor. Good news!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments.

It was over thirty years ago that I installed the backup light switch, and I had forgotten that I could access it from above.  It turned out that the bracket on which it was mounted had gotten bent a little, so the plunger was not fully depressed.  Just a little tweaking and now it works again.

An ironic note; I can't get it inspected until Jan.because all of the inspection stations are out of stickers.   :=)