Author Topic: Fuel Pump? Truck died... Can't diagnose.  (Read 32114 times)

Offline Spool

Re: Fuel Pump? Truck died... Can't diagnose.
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »
Exactly. Thank you for that.

That was the visual I needed.
...-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, BTDC 0 ATDC 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... from left to right when looking down on the harmonic balancer.
And CounterClockwise>Advances, while Clockwise>Retards on the distributor.

When I scrolled back to my post on the 25th, I noticed that I had my understanding completely backwards.

My test run went smooth; ran a few errands and my start ups, idles and runs were smooth.
Everything sounds good too; the exhaust sounds familiar, yet the idle is a little quieter than before, but nice.
I'm a little skeptical to push it, but locally, the test run went great.

I'll be on the highway in a day or two for work.
(I'm keeping the timing light and distributor wrench in the truck for now... Even though I tightened the distributor bolt pretty good.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:45:38 AM by Spool »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
We've talk before on here about those lopy sounding trucks are better for higher rpms situations. Our trucks need the power right off the start to much all that weight. It also sounds as if you have your vacuum advance on manifold vacuum which is better for performance also. On ported vacuum it only advances ones you open the throttle and the vacuum catches up. So you might get a little bit of throttle "lag" but on manifold vacuum it's advanced once the engine starts which is better for performance but a little worse for emissions. Which is why they came ported from the factory to meet emission requirements.

Once you get a better understanding on how the truck is running I would try to get a few more degrees out of the timing, normally what I do is get the engine warm from driving it normally and advancing the timing to where the starter almost sounds as if it was weak or the battery was dead and back the timing back a few degrees. Then check to see if you can get it to ping, pinging is bad it's from the cylinder detonates too soon and can cause engine damage
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Spool

« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
Hey Everyone.

Just wanted to extend my gratitude and appreciation to everyone further.
It's been about a week and the truck proves to be running great.

Had an opportunity the other day to punch it a bit on the freeway and it was super smooth and super rewarding.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57:42 AM »
glad to hear we could get you back on the road
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes