Author Topic: power steering  (Read 2063 times)

Offline muleystruck

power steering
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »
Hello all, my 86 Scottsdale has the 4.3 v6 engine. There has always been an issue with the ps belt kinda loose and squealing. So I decided to fix it. Well, now the squealing is worse, gotten so bad as to squeal when just barely turning the wheel. Tightening the belt was a nightmare because I ran out of adjustment at the pump. Also there is an odd noise in the steering as I turn the wheel  yet goes away upon straightening up.  I read the tech article for bleeding the system. Im willing to try that. I should say too the truck has the hydroboost brake system. If it will work I would like to change the whole belt system to a serpentine belt. If that will swap what donor will I need? Guys I appreciate any replies. Muley

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: power steering
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
Sounds like you have the wrong belt. Typically to get the correct tension you need to remove the bolts except for the top pivot and the belt will fit tight. Once you reinstall the remaining bolts you should have enough slack to be within the sweep of the adjuster to get good tension. How is your belt routed, Crank, WP, PS only? What belt # did you use?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline muleystruck

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Sir, I had to put the old belt back on. The steering squealed when turning, after we tried to replace the belt it squeals while driving while making the slightest turn. Before we tried to change the belt the engine is running, gave a little throttle and the pump would almost stop turning, yet the belt was not loose. So a later model 4.3 serpentine belt system wont work on my 1986 4.3 engine? I don't remember the belt # and the truck has AC. Routed the belt as original. I am grateful for your help.  Muley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:18:57 PM by muleystruck »

Offline 85 CA SIERRA 1500

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
Sir, I had to put the old belt back on. The steering squealed when turning, after we tried to replace the belt it squeals while driving while making the slightest turn. Before we tried to change the belt the engine is running, gave a little throttle and the pump would almost stop turning, yet the belt was not loose. So a later model 4.3 serpentine belt system wont work on my 1986 4.3 engine? I don't remember the belt # and the truck has AC. Routed the belt as original. I am grateful for your help.  Muley
Hi Muley, I'm one of the new guys here but not new to wrenching and thought that I would throw this out for consideration. If the belt is tensioned correctly and the pump turns at low rpm and the belt only slips when the rpms are raised, I would consider that the pump is starting to fail internally or one of the valves in the steering system is malfunctioning. I have experienced this back in the 80's with some of the watercooled VW a/c compressors, they would function normally at idle and then seize either partially or fully as rpm's increased, usually snapping or cooking the belt.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>