Author Topic: Tailgate Handle Assembly  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Tailgate Handle Assembly
« on: May 13, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
Wanting to remove tailgate handle assembly to clean, lubricate and paint. Handle has about 1" free travel then moves rods to open latches. When closing it is the reverse operation and handle can be pushed up to stay. Handle does not fall back down while driving. Wondering if this is normal? Have searched forum and internet and have not located information on this. I would really like to see a video of the operation to see if it is normal.

TIA
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline haroldwca

Re: Tailgate Handle Assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
The tailgate handle actuates rods that connect to each side's latch assembly.  The latch assembly's springs are what return the handle to its rest position.  Over time, the latch springs weaken and the handle bends to the point that it doesn't really ever return to what looks like rest position.  Replace the whole system: handle, rods, and latch assemblies.  There are several kits available that contain all these parts plus the tailgate trunions.  Be sure to order new rubber bumpers as well if you need them.  They aren't contained in most of the kits I've seen, but they are not expensive.  The whole setup can be had for about $100 if you shop it right.  Good luck !

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:41:12 AM »
Finally got it out. This was a BEAR to get out. Hardest part was removing left side rod.Also had to remove tailgate band for more room. Found the reason I had free play in the handle. Dirt and years of outside gremlins was binding at the handle and cam pivot point that both rods connect to. There is no spring on the handle itself which was my brain thinking there was/should be. When working correctly, springs on latches will pull handle up correctly. This was the first one for me, so definitely a learning experience.

Now...on to the cleaning, lubricating, painting and hopefully re-assembling.

Will post pics before and after cleaning and painting when completed.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
Have been working on tailgate handle assembly this week. Found in the past, handle got bent causing binding and handle not going all the way up. Still working on it, not being in a hurry. Cleaning and painting. Got 1 day away from being finished, the other part-time driver went down today. 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Had to have it towed to shop.

So, I had to remove tailgate so I can drive to work. Still have handle and latches off waiting to be painted. I noticed taking tailgate off, right side has a lot of play between the trunion and gate. Is this normal or should it only have a little as the left side has? Trunion looks ok and left and right are the same part #. I was thinking it might need a spacer but not sure.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
If it is in fact a 74 tailgate and hardware, you need to unbolt the tailgate to remove it and they had much less clearance than the later designs. They incorporated rubber bumpers to stop the rattling. You should only need to shim or adjust if you are correcting fitment issues.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
If it is in fact a 74 tailgate and hardware, you need to unbolt the tailgate to remove it and they had much less clearance than the later designs. They incorporated rubber bumpers to stop the rattling. You should only need to shim or adjust if you are correcting fitment issues.

Yes it is a 74. To remove it, has to be unbolted to remove. What I am questioning is on the right side, the trunion (the part that has to be unbolted maybe considered the hinge) does not fit as close on the inside of tailgate as the left side does. I have replaced the bumpers and does not rattle. I hope I am explaining this to where you can understand my question. When the tailgate is opened slightly, I can move it up and down more on right than the left. It is not a problem, I noticed it when I took it off which had me curious.
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:23 AM »
It is normal.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)