Author Topic: Front Suspension problems..  (Read 2505 times)

Offline ovaltrackin33

Front Suspension problems..
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »
Ok guys hows it going?  Im new to posting here, but I am an Avid view of the board.. First off my truck specs are:

1986 Chevrolet 1/2ton
350 crate motor/ 700r4 tranny
Stock Height running 15X10 wheels with  p295 Tires all the way around
Its the Heavy Half so it has the big front breaks w/ larger lugs.

well anyways.. Ive owned this truck for about 3 years now. (used to be an old california foresty truck.. it was like 5 different shades of green when i got it ha ha) I pretty much restored it myself, including new paint/bodywork...the interior.. and the motor & transmission.  The only thing that I have no touched has been the front and rear suspension. I have had the front and rear breaks re-done though because they were worn out.  I had them done about a year ago.

Well now for maybe the last month I have notice that my front end has a small wobble to it.. and when I apply the brakes it shakes like CRAZY! It shakes so bad now that i feel like I am standing on an earthquake vault...  so it basically wobbles when just driving along.. and when I apply the brakes it shakes really badly.  Sometimes my pedal goes to the floor and is real soft, and other times its really hard.. Like in the mornings it will be really tocuhy, to the point when i touch them the front tires lock up, I can pump them once and it goes away....  I need to do something, and something soon, I can't drive it like this anymore.  Ive been putting up with it for about a month now, and am tired of it.  You guys have any suggestions for me?  Anything would help!

Appreciate your time & conveince!

Clinton...

oh yes.. I remember now too that the other day I was driving along on my way to class and the RF tire locked up... I pumped the breaks and it stopped.. I think there might be something in the lines.

and...  when i do start to come to a stop (about 5mph from stopping) you can feel like the truck is stoping and going... like the brakes are applied and then let off, but my foot is steady on the brake.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Front Suspension problems..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
It sounds like the brake hoses on the calipers need to be replaced.  The wobbling could be caused by warped rotors.  It they have been grabbing and holding it will cause them to overheat also.  The weird pedal problems (to much pressure, not enough... etc) sounds like they need to be bled again.  This is all I can think of as of right now.

Who did the brakes?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline ovaltrackin33

Re: Front Suspension problems..
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »
Pep boys here in california.  Never had any problems with them before... so it's a first.  Im getting ready to rebuild the whole front end within 2 months or so.. So i was looking for fix... I guess i can sweat it out and just redo the front brakes myself.  I know how to do them, but just no time, and with these problems it could be a series of problems so im just going to do the whole thing.

Thanks for the response!