Author Topic: Galvinized fenders  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Red87chevy

Galvinized fenders
« on: July 09, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
I have an opportunity to purchase a set of galvinized GM fenders.  I know they won't rust, but I have concerns for painting.  As I understand the galvinization process, the metal is baked with zinc.  I also recall that paint does not adhere well to zinc.  Does anyone have insight into GM galvinized body parts?  Do they paint well?  Is there any special process for applying the paint? Other info.......  Thanks! :rolleyes  

Offline G7M6C

• New Users
Re: Galvinized fenders
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
all of the body panels that i have bought have a black primer already on them.  all you have to do is fix any low spots ant primer-paint

mtw

Zinc
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Almost every vehicle produce now has galvanized body panels.  The paint seems to stick to them.  I would think that a body shop would know if any special prep is required.

Offline 1979blazer

great stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2002, 07:56:00 PM »
excellent

Edited by: 1979blazer at: 4/21/04 11:58 pm

Brian

fenders
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2002, 11:08:00 AM »
Most all automotive parts are made from a specially galvanized steel called Galvineal .This is a different chemical makeup than a piece of common galvinized steel and actually has better paint adhesion properties than the old untreated steel of years ago  

Offline cimfth

fenders
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »
I bought galvanized rocker panels and had trouble getting primer to stick to them.  The guy at the paint store said to put vinegar on them ( sounds strange , I know) I don't know if it works The best solution would be to paint them with self etching primer. Thats what I did and It worked good.