Author Topic: Bed alignment  (Read 7785 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Bed alignment
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
I have a 79 standard cab long bed. I noticed the other day when I pulled up at home behind my truck (was with someone else) that the gap between my tailgate and the end of the bed on the RIGHT side is even, the same all the way down. On the LEFT side however, the gap between the tailgate and the bed is wider at the top and thinner at the bottom of the tailgate. So I know that the body of the bed is slightly tweaked. Is there a way I can make the gap even and the same as the right side or is it bent forever? Thanks ya'll.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Bed alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
     You need to check a few things first to see why it is like that.   Is your bed mounts all solid, or is the left side coming or falling apart ?  Is your tailgate hinges straight and not bent or tweaked ?  Also check the gap between your bed and cab left to right.  Just a couple of things off the top of my head.  I am sure others will chime in.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »
The bed isn't falling off, the mounts are tight and the left and right bed to cab alignment is straight and even.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:07:29 PM »
     Next thing I would check then (and this is going to take some measuring )  is that your bed rails are square, say front to back and even with each other.  Drivers side and passenger side.  That will tell you it your bed is square. ( hopefully it is not the frame.)
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »
thanks, i will go do that. also, i tried to upload to pictures to show what is going on but they will not load. i dont know if im doing something wrong or what.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
The right side is perfect. Does anyone know how to fix the left side?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:09 AM »
     Man from that picture, it looks like the bed rail is bent out.  Now I would suggest measuring front of bed rails and rear of bed rails, top and bottom.  If indeed it is the bed rail bent, it can be fixed with some work, ok a lot of work really.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
i have measured the inside of the bed from bed rail to bed rail across. they are pretty close to the same measurement. it looks bad and it makes the taillight not sit flush. how would u suggest fixing it?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
There is definately some "funny stuff" going on there...cracked filler, light sitting crooked & out, the gap going from wide to way narrow in a 8" section.
My guess is if you take out the tail light you will see more signs of that corner being hit & not properly repaired. Do you not see any kinks in the jamb area where the tailgate strap is bolted to the bedside?
To answer your question of how to repair it: The top needs pulled in (a plate welded on the outside of the panel or maybe something in the stake pocket depending on what all is moved) while the area around the taillight is pulled out. The rounded corners are hard to move & also get back in shape since a little bit off makes the light look dumb. Metal moves in various directions, in this case...in at the middle, out on the top & spread out on the rounded corner. Remember that smart guy..."For every action, there is an opposite reaction" Wasn't he the same guy that invented the Fig Newtons? ;)  Lorne

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
hahahaha, well thanks for that info. there aren't any kinks in the jamb and the tailgate works fine. the light does sit kinda funny because of it, never could figure out why until i saw that. As for the cookie guy. yes i think its the same dude. :)
LTZ Cheyenne C20