Author Topic: 79’ Small Block 5.7l 350 Won’t Start After Driving.  (Read 1700 times)

Offline jloar

• Just here for the trucks.
79’ Small Block 5.7l 350 Won’t Start After Driving.
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
Odd problem I have yet to figure out. I have a 5.7l Chevy 350 that starts and runs no problem. It’s a little slow to crank but starts every time. If I take it for a drive and turn it off, it won’t restart without a jump.
The battery is two years old, 700cca. Truck off it reads 12.5v, truck running it’s 14+v.
When I start the truck cold the volts drop down to 9.5v (while cranking) and it starts.
After driving, I try to start and the volts drop down to 9.0v, the truck doesn’t start.
If I let it still for an hour or more after driving it starts right up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just another day!

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: 79’ Small Block 5.7l 350 Won’t Start After Driving.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Welcome.

Sounds like heat soaked starter. May need starter heat shield, if it doesn't have one, or new starter.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline jloar

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
No starter heat shield, I will look into getting one on there. Thank you!!
Just another day!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
Get the battery tested. Things that can cause a slow starter is like stated heat soaked or a weak starter and timing or a poor battery cable connection.

I would test the battery and then check timin max most people run is 12°btdc. If both those check out you can either replace the starter or get a heat shield that may not work since you have this issue when the engine is cold..
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Also make sure that you're actually getting 12v to the starter, not just the battery. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jloar

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
most people run is 12°btdc. If both those check out you can either replace the starter or get a heat shield that may not work since you have this issue when the engine is cold..

I’m not sure what “12°btdc” is?
I’m not sold that the timing is correct or that the carb is adjusted the best either.

Also, when you say because I’m having the issue when the engine is cold, do you think 9.5v while cranking is too low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just another day!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »
where are you getting that reading for the volts at? 9.5 is low and even on the threshold of being bad. but if youre not getting those reading directly from the battery there could be a connection issue causing a low reading

about timing read
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32085.0
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »
Heat creates resistance to the flow of electrons in any circuit. So if your starter is getting too hot to start, that's one thing. I would get the thing hot, and then when it won't start, I would carefully hose the starter into a cool state and try it.

However, your description of 'not starting' is somewhat muddy. Does it crank at the same speed? Since the voltage drops by 1/2 a volt, I can't envision it being really slow. Please comment.

And as to timing, it's possible that it's too far advanced. If that the case, when you turn it over the spark plugs are  lighting too soon and fighting the pistons as they triy to reach the the top of it's travel.

Under this condition it will chug, real slow, like it's got peanut butter schmeared all over it's internals. This will show up at normal operating temperature.

Finally, like Irish and the Shifty one said, it's where you check voltage that matters. Checking voltage drop at the battery may be very different than checking it at the starter 12v post. If there is considerable difference between those two point look for a bad cable or weak connections.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction