Author Topic: Question: Starter kicks out????  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Dirty Offio

Question: Starter kicks out????
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:57:14 AM »
Hey guys,

So the starter on my 86 6.2L is pissing me off.  If it is plugged in (even now, when the temps are nice) it will fire right up.  If I try to start it if it hasn't been plugged in, the starter will start to roll the motor over and then kick out.  Sometimes it rolls over several revolutions, other times it doesn't make it a full turn before it kicks out. 

So my question is this.  Do you think this is the starter drive?  as in, if I pull the starter and change the starter drive will it start playing nice with the other kids?  Or do you think it would be the solenoid?  The starter works great, other than this...so I don't really want to swap the unit out...besides, the dang things are expensive!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offio

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Question: Starter kicks out????
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
does it do this with the motor hot (other than warm) and cold?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Dirty Offio

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
No, it only does it when the engine is cold and it hasn't been plugged in.  If it is warm, it does not do it, if it is plugged in it does not do it.  Overnight temps right now are in the 50's, so I shouldn't need to plug it in...other than this stupid habit of it's.

Cheers!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:19:36 AM »
     To answer your question we would need to know if the solenoid is loosing power when the starter "kicks out".
      As you know, the solenoid only uses a small amount of current to connect the battery and starter.  So during the "kick out", is the problem with the solenoid losing power, or, the actual starter loosing power from the battery ?  Starters can draw up to 500 amps, and a lot of ignition systems have resistance wires built into the circuit to avoid over a ping and catching the system on fire.
     You need to do a couple of test when cold.  1st test the solenoid power leads while starting cold to see if it is loosing power during the kick out.  This will give you a direction to start your diagnosis procedures, either with the solenoid, or the starter/ignition system.
     Report back your findings.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:24:44 PM »
while your doing that test does the starter Bendix(gear) still turn when the starter kicks out? you would hear a loud starter spinning noise

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »
Starter drive, clutch is bad that's why it zings..

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
Classic description of a Bendix in need of replacement... (zings under extreme pressure like thicker oil of a cold engine). 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline 74 C-10 Shorty

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:59:34 AM »
Yep, they're a one way clutch and it just won't hang on anymore, more pressure worse it is and it just keeps getting worse.

Offline Dirty Offio

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
Just a quick note.  Thanks everyone for the replies.  I replaced the starter drive and the solenoid.  She works like a champ now!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
glad you got her fixed