Author Topic: Starter issues  (Read 3534 times)

Offline cmull

Starter issues
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
I just bought an 83 c10 with the 6.2 and am trying to get it running. The starter and solenoid are separate and I've never seen this.. Where the solenoid bolts to the fender it doesnt look like it fits there. I cant get the starter to engage. Is it just the starter that went out or did the PO do something stupid? And I realize the solenoid is unplugged I was cleaning up the connections.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Starter issues
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
That is a Ford solenoid and someone put it on to try and fix a problem if actually hooked to the starter.  I have seen them there to operate a plow especially on that side of the engine compartment.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
That looks like the glow plug relay.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
That isn't the started solenoid, that is the glow plug relay as bd stated.

Offline cmull

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
Yeah after I saw this I took a quick look(from above) at the starter and didnt see the solenoid. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Offline rockygryphon

• 85 k10 6.2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
That does look like the glow plug relay.  If you look at the starter from the side, you should normally see the starter solenoid attached to the top of it and wired.  This is the same on the later 6.5L model gear reduction starters.  Ford, I've heard has a solenoid separate to avoid damage to it from engine heat.  I suppose if what you have in the picture is not actually the glow plug relay, it may be possibly a relay for the starter if the solenoid on the starter has no wire connected to its terminals.

I had to get my starter replaced and when I took it apart, the thing inside was worn down on one side and I'm surprised it even turned anymore.  Replacing it with a gear reduction starter model for the 6.5L engines has paid off.  I haven't had to replace it yet, though I had to get it overhauled because it was sometimes just clicking although one time in extreme cold, it actually wouldn't stop cranking.  There is a fix for that on a cucv page, steel soldiers, I believe.