Author Topic: 91 r3500 crew interior and clearance lights  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Sgreene

91 r3500 crew interior and clearance lights
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
Need help with interior...if a fellow wanted to buy weather stipping..do I just look for 91 suburban since it has 4 doors or what...alot of site don't list the r3500 so any advice so I don't get mailed thr wrong parts?  Also what interior seems to fit best...one guy had 04 Silverado and it looked ok.  Also clearance light are on the light switch potentiometer so the cab marker lights dimmer as switch is turned...sure that's not factory.  And the lastly the wiring diagrams reference a courtesy light...where is that...only interior light I have been able to find is the dome light which is always hot and the reason there is no bulb...suspect cab marker wiring to dimmer has something to do with this lol

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: 91 r3500 crew interior and clearance lights
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:55:36 PM »
First of all welcome to the site.

81 on up weather stripping works for your truck, Suburbans and Crew cabs have the same 4 doors.  Clearance lights are wired into the headlight switch and should be hot when you pull the parking lights on.  The black plug has an empty slot in it for cab clearance lights.  (sorry I don't remember which one" but I removed the harness on one of my trucks to install it on another.  Lastly there is a courtesy light, or should be, between the ash tray and glove box door underneath.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Sgreene

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
Ok my assumption is that the cab markers (since the exterior cab lights are dimmable via the headlight switch rotation,  and that fact that the instrument panel no longer is dimmable) is that the two are switched on the posts of the headlight switch then or somewhere underneath...nice yellow truck..thinkin i ran across it when I bought mine last weekend but wanted a crew cab

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
...clearance lights are on the light switch potentiometer so the cab marker lights dimmer as switch is turned...

Somebody got creative!

Cab clearance lights plug into a ~3" long brown pigtail with single black connector that comes directly off headlamp switch terminal "E."  See the 1991 Wiring Manual page A-40.

For power distribution and the I/P lights, go to page A-13.  The PO may have plugged the cab clearance harness into one of the "LPS" sockets in the fuse panel.

For the dome/courtesy lamps, go to page A-119.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »
I sell weatherstripping.  If you email me what you are looking for I can get you what you need.  webmaster at 73-87chevytrucks.com