Author Topic: Exhaust questions  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Cheekster96

Exhaust questions
« on: May 03, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
:D
Hello all.  I did some searching on this site and other sites but havent really come across the answers i was looking for.
I have a 1987 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 (8600 GVW)with the long bed and a 350 TBI, 4.10 gears and the TH400 tranny.
I have purchased the Edelbrock performer intake, matching cam and lifters for it as well as a new Holley TBI unit and a new K&N filter for it.
I wanted to see if anyone can help me find a suitable cat back exhaust system for this truck.  Something that i can bolt right up to the cat.  All i have seen are for items for 88 and up chevy 350s or for trucks with the 350 and GVW under 8400 lbs.  I want the truck to sound a bit better and not so anemic.
Also, looking for a set of good headers.  I have experience with Edelbrock and Jet Hot with my camaro and have had great results.  I dont want the trouble of long tube headers, shortys are fine so that i can hook it up to the cross over pipe to the cat.
I am running with the AIR system as well.
Thanks for the help gang.
Lee
96Z 383

Offline RSBAD454

Re: Exhaust questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
i think edelbrock makes a header kit for your truck, id check into it.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline Cheekster96

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »
Ive got Edelbrocks latest and greatest catalog and do make some headers, not the TES (which is ok) but the cat back system is for the 3/4 ton trucks that are below 8400 GVW where as mine is rated at 8600 and up.  what is the difference between the 200 lbs?
also, what major differences are there between the 87 and 88 pickups with the 350?  i know the exhaust is exited on the different sides.  the 87s exit on the drivers side and the 88s and up are on the passenger side.
i ll call edelbrock and see what they say.
thanks for the input.  any one else?

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
i was just going to suggest calling Edelbrock.....i wouldnt see too much difference with a 200LBS rating. Just call them and see whats up.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
You can use the 88-up headers on the 87 block. I know of few people that have done that.  You will have to get a new exhaust though.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Cheekster96

Exhaust questions
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »
:D  hello again guys.
well, i ended up getting a Dynomax cat back exhaust system for my truck.  i prepped, primered and put on some black high heat spray paint on the pipes and left the tips the stainless color, hopefully that will make them last longer.  
the sound is great.  being the truck is a three s peed auto (with 4.10 gears), the really sounds good, nice and throaty, especially around 35-45 mph or when i pull my boat.
ok, i need your all help again.
debating over headers.
i found a set of new hedman headers (TEMS) that include the cross over pipe that bolts right up to the cat.  the headers are not ceramic coated, i can get that done later, price is $400.
also, i found a set of long tube headers (new) that are ceramic coated, from Dynomax for $230.  But the long tubes do not come with air fittings (which my truck has).  Im not sure if they even come with the O2 sensor.
How hard is it to rid my truck of the AIR system?  Do i need to reprogram the computer?  The engine bay would look alot cleaner with out it!
the truck is an 87 350 TBI.
any thoughts or suggestions?
sorry for the long reply..
Lee
96Z 383

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »
The engine will work just fine without the air injection system, providing you block off all effected areas. However in some states this procedure will fail your vehicle on emission test and/or annual inspections. You may want to check with the laws in your state prior to removing the system.

Offline Cheekster96

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »
i live in Maine and there are no emissions testing.
hmmm, so, i wonder if i should go ahead and go with long tubes then.  get a custom exhaust made up for it.  
so, blocking off the AIR system wont hurt anything?  will it give me the SES light on the dash?
is there any company that sells the cross over pipe that will go from the long tubes to the cat?
thanks all.
Lee
96Z 383