Author Topic: Hood Alignment  (Read 2832 times)

Offline AlabamaLiving

Hood Alignment
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
1979 K20 Custom Deluxe pickup

I've mounted the doors and fenders, but from the pictures, you can see the hood aligns too far left. I measured the core support to the firewall. The driver side is 39 1/8" and the passenger side is 39 3/4". I guess my cab is angled. I did weld in new forward cab supports with the rockers and floor panels. I don't think I movers the cab?

I tried to modify the hood hinges to the fender mounts, but no luck.

Do I need to move the rear of the cab towards the drivers side about 1/2"? The core support is not bolted down to the frame, and I moved it to it's limit towards the drivers side since it has shouldered mount.

What's my best course of action?  I found this link on here that mentions keeping the cab mounts loose, but how do I move the cab?
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=22771.0

Thanks, Russ ( Will post pix separately)

Offline AlabamaLiving

Re: Hood Alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Hood Pictures:

Offline AlabamaLiving

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
Door Pictures:

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
If the core support is centered over the frame it should be right but you need to have everything tight before you start trying to bullseye the hood. Once your cab, doors, fenders and radiator support are correct and tight then align the hood.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline AlabamaLiving

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
Been there 3 times, and it's not working. I can modify the hood side of the hinge, but I'll be buying new hinges and be at the same spot. Misalignment, but a lot of rotational items to take into consideration.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 04:32:48 AM »
It takes patience. Remove the cowl pins, lower the front bump stops, loosen the 4 hood to hinge bolts and lower the hood. Manipulate it into place and latch it. Slide it around until the gaps are correct and then slightly raise the hood enough to tighten the bolts without moving the hood position. Recheck and repeat until it is correct.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline AlabamaLiving

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »
Ahh Grasshopper, I will be patience and retry. Thanks.

Offline AlabamaLiving

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »
After 2 weeks of this, it's evident that with the cab offset of 5/8" from the firewall to core support, I will not get it aligned because the hood will be cocked 5/8" and not be even along the front.

I mentioned my dimensions from the firewall to the radiator upper support square channel. If someone's got an aligned hood could you measure this distance? It will give me a better bearing whether to pull the passenger side back or the driver side forward.

Thanks.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »
Okay since you are still struggling with this, measure the width of the hood at the back and the front. Measure the opening the same. Now measure in an X pattern and see if you are out of square. Write your answers on paper and formulate your plan to counter the misalignment.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 05:54:07 AM »
Ya need to square up the cab to the frame before you can move on. 5/8" is one side moves back 5/16" and the other moves forward 5/16" that should be doable.