Author Topic: Radiator core support compadability  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
Radiator core support compadability
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
1984 C10 w/2 headlamps.

Can a radiator core support for dual (quad) headlamps substitute for one with single lamps
and use the original headlamp parts and pieces?
You can lead a man to water, but yoiu can't keep him from pissing in it.

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
Re: Radiator core support compadability
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
It appears that upper headlight assembly differs from single assembly.
I conclude the answer is "no."

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
If you want to convert from dual to quad headlamps this is the way to do it.  But, if you want to maintain the original headlamps, grille and supporting pieces from a dual headlamp configuration, the dual and quad core supports are not interchangeable.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
Switch to the 4 headlight set up then, no biggie or trade me for my 2 headlight core support.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
Nah..not looking to go to 4 headlights.......
I purchased a NOS aftermarket 2 headlamp support, but it is not made properly and
I cannot secure the radiator.
I think If I jury-rig that, there may be other fitment issues with the rest of the install.
I am trying to work out a return with the seller.

There is a real nice 4 headlamp core support available locally, but I will have to pass................

I might can fix the new one, but will have to drill a bunch of spot welds, straighten some metal, then reassemble/weld.
It is a heavy part; CAPA Certified, but that dunna make it right...........

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Well, the saga, and it IS a saga, continues.
I waited for another trip to Atlanta just to purchase a new core support from AMD...Auto Metal Direct.
I had considered them to be very professional and a supplier of quality sheet metal parts.
Only problem with them is that they are not opened on Saturdays, and this trip we were toting
our grandkids, so I didn't have room to pick it up on our way in on Friday.
So, I ordered the part from Summit Racing. They were not too far away and could order the support from AMD, about 65 miles away.
Ordered it ob the 19th, should have in the store by the 25th.
WRONG..........
The part was listed on my order status as "backordered," from whom I am not sure, as AMD had plenty of then in stock, and they send a truck to Summit on Thursdays (the aforementioned 25th.)
Well, several calls to various people at Summit could not confirm receipt, so I cancelled the order and
ordered on line from AMD for pickup.
The pickup was made on Monday, with a few minor hassles.
But, I had my new (high quality?) support.
I got it home and unloaded. LOTS of razor edges on the support, and I have the cuts to prove it.
Also pretty beat up....many bent areas.
EZ to see why, because it is made of metal not much thinner than tin foil..........

It will probably be going back on my next trip.........
Looks like I'll be fixing the original or the first aftermakket CAPA certified one which requires some structural dimensional adjustment.

SORELY disappointed in Summit Racing AND Auto Metal Direct................

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
I have a hard time believing you cant find a perfectly good used one in the SE.  There are good ones here in the rust belt still and they can't be as plentiful as down south...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Ronno6

• Frequent Member
  • Elder Student
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
I have a hard time believing you cant find a perfectly good used one in the SE.  There are good ones here in the rust belt still and they can't be as plentiful as down south...

The problems I face with used supports are typically twofold:

First, the rust stems from the battery..the acid rusts out the battery tray, inner fender and radiator support where the inner fender attaches. Mine just had a gaping hole there...
I have seen many core supports that are very rusty in that area, often to a point of holes thru the metal.

Second, the majority of supports I find are for dual headlamp trucks, and mine. of course, is a single.

I did see a pretty good core support on FB marketplace for a reasonable sum of $$$, but it was 85 miles from my son's house, and I didn't want to spend another 3-4hrs driving........
Maybe I should make another trip, to return the AMD part and purchase the used one.....
Whats another 1000 miles??

Up to this point, I had read good reviews on AMD body panels; this one is a major disappointment.

I have another new old stock aftermarket support which is CAPA certified. Nice,heavy steel and well constructed part, but constructed incorrectly. The vertical ribs are not bent correctly, and the support is too high where the radiator sits. The top retainers miss the radiator by 3/8".
I have done some modification and now have things fitting pretty closely, but, I fear that if it was not made correctly here, what other sorts of problems will I encounter with mating parts?? Fender/hood alignment, etc...

I may wind up making some patch panels out of 18ga steel and welding then in to my original. But there is a LOT of rust damage.

The first pic is the best I've seen, but was too far away at the time.
The second was a pretty good one, but still ate up and a bit of a hike to get ti.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:56:25 PM by Ronno6 »