Author Topic: Advice or tricks To installing Side molding ?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline 440sixpack

Advice or tricks To installing Side molding ?
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:37 AM »
 my '77 K10 is a Silverado so it had the side moldings,  but the PO thought it looked better without them so he welded in the holes before he had it repainted.

Now I have the fun of trying to get the entire set put on.  I have the whole kit with all the clips and the stick on clips.   

I'm thinking of starting at the tail lights and working forward,  taping them all in place before I start drilling .  any tips or advice would be welcome this looks like it's not going to be a simple task.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Advice or tricks To installing Side molding ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:26:51 AM »
Years ago I had my truck painted, and then had to go through installing all new side moldings.  Its not really that hard, and if you have a two-tone point job you do have a point of reference to keep it lined up.  Verify that all the screws they provided are stainless steel, so you don't have to deal with rust streaks later on.

One suggestion I have is to replace the cab mount bushings first, if they are original.  The bed sits right on top of the frame (metal on metal), so it does not settle, but the cab is on top of rubber bushings.  When I used new poly bushings it raised the cab up and aligned it better with the bed.  It also moved the cab up enough to have the floor clear the transfer case (no more vibration; quieter), and to put my TH350 shifter linkage back into proper alignment.  I replaced the cab bushings with the truck sitting in the driveway, doing one bushing at a time.

Bruce

Offline 440sixpack

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:07:47 AM »
Funny you should say that,  it has  new cab mounts  and it actually sits about 1/4" higher than the bed.   I thought about shimming the bed up. But I figured if I put the cab moldings on about 1/8" higher than the bed it will settle in someday.   if not I guess I could shim the bed up later.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »
Fix your body lines first, don't try to compensate for anything out of whack when installing the moldings or it will never look right. If the cab bushings and mounts are all good, a little bed shimming is fine. Just do it with properly inflated tires on a level surface.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 440sixpack

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:18:14 PM »
just finished shimming it up.  took more on one side than the other I'm not really sure why.  looks good now.

Does anyone know how close to the bottom of the fuel door the lower trim runs?  I think about 1/2 " below, but I'm not sure.  I looked for a close picture and I can't find one.