Author Topic: Setting the timing. Unable to get a clear view of the harmonic balancer.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline PushrodV8

Howdy all.
So I just finished swapping out all the TBI electronics \ intake \ etc.

The HEI is installed, the truck is running but I'm unable to get a clear view of the timing pointer.
With the timing light, I can just see the line on the balancer but finding a vantage point for the light to reach the pointers is proofing to be a little "tricky".

All the vids I've seen show the point of view being directly above the belt assembly (peering behind\through the arms of the water pump) or from the driver's side.
Both of these locations aren't really working so great. The AC compressor blocks the driver's side and from directly above I can't really make out much of anything.

Currently it starts up and runs good but I feel like the throttle response is a bit laggy.
*I'm a bit new to SBC (I've always been a SBF guy) but there's a definite lag when throttling up.

Right now the vacuum advance ported\full is blocked off on the carb.
The air\fuel mix is set to standard 1.5 turns on both.

Can someone point me to the best POV to get a clear shot for the light and my eyes?

Thank you!  8)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
...I've always been a SBF guy....

There's your real problem....    :P

Now that that's out of the way, time the engine from the position that gives you the best line-of-sight to the stationary timing marks attached to the block.  With the engine off, use a flashlight to find the best LOS - on a factory TBI engine, that's usually at an oblique angle from the fan shroud down past the inboard side of the R4 compressor and P/S pump.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Can you take a picture maybe?     When i still had 8 cyls i would take the P/S belt and P/S pump OFF so that i could see the balancer better.

...I've always been a SBF guy....

Now that that's out of the way, time the engine from the position that gives you the best line-of-sight to the stationary timing marks attached to the block.  With the engine off, use a flashlight to find the best LOS - on a factory TBI engine, that's usually at an oblique angle from the fan shroud down past the inboard side of the R4 compressor and P/S pump.

That's the one thing ford (and Buick for that matter) got right, in my opinion----they put the distributor up front.

Offline PushrodV8

Yeah I kind of figured I had that one coming.
But for sure, you can't beat being able to tweak the timing right at the front of the engine!

Ok I will try the flashlight trick along with the point of view you mentioned by the fan shroud.
Thank you all.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Keep your fingers and cables out of the fan. If you can work on a f-o-r-d you can work on a Chevy, just get up over the obstacle. Why is your vacuum advance disconnected? Try timing it the old fashioned way since you won't be happy with the factory setting anyway.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline PushrodV8

I got it!
Runs like a sewing machine now.

It was waaaay off, I'm literally suprised the thing was even starting.
Idle was set too high, timing was retarded by 1\2 an inch.

So after doing the flash light trick with the engine off I found a good spot by the fan shroud BD mentioned.

Basically, the original 305 that's in the truck was TBI. I have a roller 350 in the machine shop getting punched out and prepped for a 383 build.
But I couldn't just let the old girl sit like this.

Being that I was prepping the truck for a carb (fuel pressure reg \ rigging the fuel pump relay \ converting it to a 1 wire HEI) I figured why mess with the TBI electronics which was causing it to run like shyte I'd just go ahead and throw an intake on it and roll out.

Now it's completely wired and piped in for the 383 when I finish building it.

Here's some pictures of the little lady.
Engine bay image is several days behind but I'll post up the finished product tomorrow since I'll be off work and have enough time to finish buttoning up the wiring, etc.

Offline PushrodV8

Why is your vacuum advance disconnected?

Sorry I didn't address your question.
I've always been told to leave the vac adv. disconnected while setting the initial timing on a new build.

It's connected now though.

Offline PushrodV8

Good day!

Today is the 2nd week I've been driving the truckster around.
Runs great, but my only issue is cold start.

1st part of the morning after sitting all night long I give the throttle 2 pumps \ key off \ and it starts. (Completely normal)
After it's running (2 seconds or so) it runs like crap and I have to give it some gas to keep it going.

It's an electronic choke Edelbrock 1406 (I've never had an elec choke before, always a cable choke).

Do you think I need to adjust the idle screw or the choke starting point?
Once it's warmed up (about 1 1\2 minutes) I can throw it in gear and no more problems the rest of the day.

I can of course live with it but I guess I'm use to more or a fast idle when the choke is used.
Fuel pressure regulator is right on 5 psi while engine off \ 4.5 psi when running which should be the sweet spot for Edelbrock carbs.

Thank you!  8)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Does the choke flap close completely when you pump the pedal when you first start it cold?