Author Topic: Adding Dome and Cargo Light  (Read 3586 times)

Offline buter1ma

Adding Dome and Cargo Light
« on: April 22, 2020, 06:52:08 AM »
Morning everyone.

I got an 86 C10 that doesn't have a dome or cargo light. I found all the parts off another truck and want to add. However I don't even have the placements cut out of the metal to do it. Has anyone done this? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks.

Offline chewy92

Re: Adding Dome and Cargo Light
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:49 AM »
Sounds like you really need to improvise to run the wire around.

Offline buter1ma

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:40:35 AM »
Wiring isn’t my worry. It’s cutting the metal. Only get one shot.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:30:28 PM »
The hole for the cargo light is relatively simple, since you just need a hole big enough to let the wire pass through.  Exact position is not that critical.  I already had a dome light, so I didn't have to figure that one out.  However, I have replaced mine with an LED light and it seems like its also fairly simple.

One important thing to remember is that these lights are not grounded to the body and you must use the plastic insulators that come with them to keep them isolated.  The lights have constant 12 volt power on the orange wire, and they turn on when the white wire is grounded through the headlight switch or one of the door switches.   This is the opposite of most other accessory items, which are grounded all the time and the power is switched on and off.

Bruce

Offline buter1ma

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
I was able to het the whole wiring harness from another truck to use. Shouldn’t be an issue. (Famous last words).