Author Topic: Looking for shock interchange info (4" lift)  (Read 25132 times)

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
Looking for shock interchange info (4" lift)
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:30:24 AM »
I've had many a $100+ aftermarket off-road shock over my years.  I've come to the conclusion that, unless you're needing coil-overs, there isn't much of a difference between them and their $45 - $60 brothers at the local auto parts store EXCEPT, the counter guy doesn't have the info easily available to help figure out which shock you need for a lifted truck (read non-stock).  Some shocks have extended and collapsed lengths listed, some don't.

I found a thread on the forum where someone figured out that a 90-something dodge dually v-10 had the same rear shock length as needed for a 4-inch lifted 73-87 truck (rear).  He also figured out some interchange for the front too I recall.  I've searched and can't find the thread for the life of me.  Has anyone done the research and come up with interchange info like this?  If I have no choice, I can play "thank you, may I try another" with the parts counter guy but I figured I can't be the first guy to have this thought so I'd try here first.

TIA

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
Re: Looking for shock interchange info (4" lift)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
When I worked at Oreilly there was a book from I think Monroe, or maybe Rancho that has the extended and collapsed heights of shocks.

I'd measure your shocks, then cruise down to Napa or Car Quest, my experience with thrm is they'll go the extra bit to get you what you need.
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
I would buy the shocks that came with the lift kit or the ones the manufacturer recommends.
I believe the thread you were talking about is where a member did their own shackle/hanger flip lift and used Dodge springs on the rear.

Offline rickyharp

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
Stock shocks from a 1 ton 4x4 truck will work on any 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 4 inch lift.I have used them before with no problams.Saves alot of money too.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
I was the culprit who posted about using the Dodge shocks. 

My '73 GMC K2500 has a 4" Rancho lift (spring front and blocks in the rear) and had Rancho shocks (RS4000 I think).

For the rear:   2001 Dodge 3500 V10 dually 4x4 - Monroe 31131 ($24.99 ea. w/lifetime warranty at O'Reilly)
I had to remove the steel bushings from the Dodge shock to fit onto the upper shock stud on the GMC. I don't recall having to mess with the lower mounting.  When compressed, the Dodge shock was identical in length to the Rancho shocks I replaced.  In full extension, the Dodge shock had slightly less length as compared to the Rancho shock.  Being slightly shorter was fine for me, since the rear end would tend to stretch the parking brake cables when the trucks was on a lift.

For the front: 1991 Dodge W250 (4x4), 360 V8 - Gabriel 61642 ($24.99 ea. w/lifetime warranty at Autozone)
Compressed and extended lengths for the Dodge shocks were identical to the Rancho shocks.  I had to make bushings for the upper and lower mounts.  I simply used a piece of 1/2" steel pipe, cut to the appropriate size and then reamed to fit the bolt.  I used anti-seize in the new bushing to prevent the bolts from seizing to the bushings.  If I need to replace the shocks later, I can simply press the bushings out of the shocks and reuse them.

As for the two different brands: I was a bit impatient, O'Reilly had the rears in stock and Autozone had the front in stock.

For my use, the Gabriel/Monroe Dodge truck shocks (with a little modification) work as well or better than the much more expensive Rancho shocks and cost half the price.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline timthescarrd

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »
I was at Autozone this evening getting some spark plugs for my 83 K10, and the guy accidently clicked on shock/strut(rear), and the first thing his computer asked was with 4" lift / without 4" lift.  So at the very least they have info for the rear

Offline Jason S

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
The availability of a 4" lift shock for the front or rear is not the issue. It's the price difference of the 4" lift shock versus a standard replacement shock.

O'Reilly had the 4" lift shock, it was something like $45 each.  A "stock" factory type shock that does the same job but needs some bushings either removed or installed are $24.99 each.

In my case, the Dodge shocks were a reasonably priced alternative that give a decent ride and saved me about $100. 
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
I've had many a $100+ aftermarket off-road shock over my years.  I've come to the conclusion that, unless you're needing coil-overs, there isn't much of a difference between them and their $45 - $60 brothers at the local auto parts store

Shocks are one of those mysteries that not everyone understands.  Everyone knows you need shocks/struts to keep the vehicle from bouncing all over the road.
      What most or some at least, do not understand is how a shock works and difference between those shocks.  Valving, extension, damping abilities, gas charges vrs nitrogen charged.  ETC.ETC.
      In some cases using the wrong shock can be as bad as using no shock.  You can run out and buy fox remote reservoir shocks with triple adjustable valving and put on your 1/2 ton truck and you would never use but maybe 1/4 of the shock unless you start jumping your truck.
     In that scenario going down and putting on $50.00 specials from the local auto parts store would be better handling than the $250.00 per shock fox shocks.  Like so many other things on a vehicle when modifying from factory specs, you need to think of the end goal for the truck and build the truck along the same goals including parts you buy.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »
Shocks are one of those mysteries that not everyone understands.  Everyone knows you need shocks/struts to keep the vehicle from bouncing all over the road.
      What most or some at least, do not understand is how a shock works and difference between those shocks.  Valving, extension, damping abilities, gas charges vrs nitrogen charged.  ETC.ETC.
      In some cases using the wrong shock can be as bad as using no shock.  You can run out and buy fox remote reservoir shocks with triple adjustable valving and put on your 1/2 ton truck and you would never use but maybe 1/4 of the shock unless you start jumping your truck.
     In that scenario going down and putting on $50.00 specials from the local auto parts store would be better handling than the $250.00 per shock fox shocks.  Like so many other things on a vehicle when modifying from factory specs, you need to think of the end goal for the truck and build the truck along the same goals including parts you buy.

Exactly.  Even in off road applications most people end up over equipping and end up with a worse ride. 

I think in the long run, it doesn't make sense to spend for name brand (lift company) shocks because I'm not confident that they're any better anyway (quality) and, there's even a chance a rancho shock is a rebranded (or made in the same plant) Monroe or other anyway.  I've not done the research and have no facts but it does seem that the rebrand is the way the world works now.

As for valving...that's more of a science for sure.  I messed with some fox shocks I ran some years ago and really improved the ride.  I was impressed how many options are available setup-wise.  I ended up running a faster rebound and progressive compression and it made a huge difference.  Not sure I had it dialed in as well as I could have but it was a huge improvement over the out of the box setup.  There experts out there that can take a shock to a whole new level and do it for a living.

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
The availability of a 4" lift shock for the front or rear is not the issue. It's the price difference of the 4" lift shock versus a standard replacement shock.

O'Reilly had the 4" lift shock, it was something like $45 each.  A "stock" factory type shock that does the same job but needs some bushings either removed or installed are $24.99 each.

In my case, the Dodge shocks were a reasonably priced alternative that give a decent ride and saved me about $100.

Thanks for posting the info again.  A bushing sleeve, a tuck, or a nip isn't a problem and $100 savings is a big deal.  I believe that the shock companies are actually charging us more the "with 4-inch lift" because they can when secretly they just repurpose and tweak something already made for another application.  I get it and would do the same thing but that doesn't mean I want to pay the difference.

As for quality...my 2005 Cummins Quad Cab had 100k on it with stock shocks that didn't need to be replaced.  I didnt really care who made them but they worked great.  They weren't white with red boots though.

Offline GMCStepper76

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:42:07 AM »
My local Autozone was able to find quite a few options for my 4" lifted 76 GMC K15. He had a 35, 45, 65 and the a 99 buck option. I looked up the 45 buck option. It was a Gabriel. The Gabrial website has a ton of info on lifted, non lifted and quad shock options. I have not looked at Monroe or anyone else's website yet.

Anyone have an opinion on the Gabriel shocks. I will not be doing extreme 4 wheelin. I will do trails and in the mountains trout fishing, some beach runs and stuff. No jumping (;ow back cant handle it) I have a 4" easy ride all spring suspension. It came installed on my new frame. ($275) to replace my wrecked frame. I installed the ORD greaseable front shackles (someone jacked the old shackles before I bought it)

Thanks sorry to Hijack this topic.

Tony

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 06:04:27 AM »
when i worked at autozone the 35-65 shocks were Gabriel. they have to be doing good due to thats the main thing autozone has in stock and they do sell them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
After some poking around, here's the way I was able to find shocks:

First, I looked up the"recommended" Rancho shock part number for the lift height I wanted front and rear.  Any suspension site worth a squat will be able to give you the info as long as your lift height is in the sensible range.

Then I looked up the shock lengths for those part numbers in the Rancho shock chart.
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/catalog/Specifications.pdf

Then I looked through the Monroe application chart looking for shocks that would work based on the Rancho specs:
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I have not been able to find an online Gabriel application chart.  I figure that a local auto parts store could cross ref a Monroe if I can find one that has the right spec.

I do think that you should question the max/min recommendations of the Rancho shocks though.  I did some playing with my front diff while the truck was on jack stands and, with leaves, it seems that maybe more is needed on compression than with extension.  I'll know for sure when I can get a hold of a forklift.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:20:47 PM by scorpion »