Author Topic: What do ya call the steel dash panel?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
What do ya call the steel dash panel?
« on: August 18, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
What do you call the panel that's under the dash pad and holds the instrument cluster.(The structural steel part of the dash.) I'm calling it a dash panel but get zero info about it when I search for it.
Are they basically the same between 78 and 79?
 The reason I ask is I want to replace my 78's with a 79 unit and I'm not sure if there is a raised section on the 79 unit where the vin would have been and would it interfere with my 78 dash pad?

Offline BADGE73

• 1973 Cheyenne Super C20 Camper Special
Re: What do ya call the steel dash panel?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
"Pictures speak a thousand words." - Somebody

I think I know what you're referring to, however I recommend uploading some pics.
"Firemen never die, they just burn forever in the hearts of the people whose lives they saved."

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
youre just talking about the actual "dash". theyre spot welded in and you have to remove the windshield and drill out the spot welds. then theres one bolt on each side holding it in place. easy to swap and it should be legal to do what you want since youre not messing with your vin plate. just remove the old vin plate. the raised part shouldnt be an issue and if it is just cut it out
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
the raised part shouldnt be an issue and if it is just cut it out

that would work! Why didn't I think of that.