Author Topic: No power anywhere  (Read 1632 times)

Offline adropp692000

• New Users
No power anywhere
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
 :-\ :-\ :-\
I'm sure this has been addressed but....

I have a 1980 K10 that had a small electrical fire. I had a "mechanic" put it all back together and it ran fine for about a month.  Then one day I turn the key and *NOTHING*.  No power anywhere....  I found the starter solenoid had a short in it.  Replaced it hoping all was well and..... no power anywhere.  I have no idea where to start.  the whole thing is just dead.....  Short of replacing the whole harness under the hood ($1000) i have no idea what to do.  Anyone have this issue?  Thanks!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: No power anywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 02:38:09 PM »
Start with the battery, look for loose cables, corroded connectors.

With a light tester go down the line from the positive wiring.

Probably a fusible link.

Do a search on this site for Fusible links, lots of data.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:58:15 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:59:50 PM »
im with johnny on the fusible link part. norm on the firewall but who knows after someone rewired it or even if they added one in
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 05:48:37 AM »
When this has happened in my truck its usually the nut on the power connection at the starter has come loose.  In your case you have also had starter work recently, which makes it even more likely.  Just disconnect the large battery ground, and then crawl under there with the right wrench/socket and make sure that large nut is tight and has a star washer on it or a lock washer.  That large cable has no fuse or fusible link, so don't risk working on it with the battery still connected.

Verify that the one or two power feed wires for the truck are also connected to the same starter post and that they are not broken.  The wire on the other starter post goes up to the ignition switch to activate the starter.  You should be able to see if the fusible links in those wires have burned, but that should not be a problem unless you had a short in the wiring.  However, those wires run toward the back of the engine, and should be in a protective metal sleeve that runs up the back of the engine.   If someone removed that sleeve there is a possibility that they contacted the exhaust manifold and it has burned through and grounded them.  That sleeve gets in the way when you are trying to put the exhaust downpipe back on, so sometimes mechanics move it out of the way and then don't get it back on to protect the wires.

Bruce