Author Topic: What else do I need?  (Read 12123 times)

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
What else do I need?
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »
OK so im in the process of builing a 355 for my truck.This is my first motor build. Ive got the short block (010 block bored .030 over flattop forged pistons, stock gm crank and connecting rods). Ive also got a comp cams double roller timing chain, lifters, pushrods and an oil pump on the way. Now the question is besides the OBVIOUS stuff like cam, heads and everything that goes along with them,water pump, intake, and carburetor, gaskets and of course,all of the fasteners What else am I going to need to put this thing together? I plan on robbing the fuel pump and oil pan off of the motor thats in the truck now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:02:29 PM by Maintenanceman »
1985 Silverado K20- 355 SBC Vortec heads and a lil' cam...

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
Re: What else do I need?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:16 PM »
Paint, RTV, thread locker, gasket sealer or adhesive, assembly lube, break in lube, bearings and seals and oil pump drive shaft and pick up screen. Don't see a distributor listed either. Add to that cap/rotor, belt, hoses, linkage brackets, valve covers, air cleaner and all the required nuts and bolts and you should be there.

Offline Layne

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Don't forget to calculate in oil and a-freeze...
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Paint, RTV, thread locker, gasket sealer or adhesive, assembly lube, break in lube, bearings and seals and oil pump drive shaft and pick up screen. Don't see a distributor listed either. Add to that cap/rotor, belt, hoses, linkage brackets, valve covers, air cleaner and all the required nuts and bolts and you should be there.

Guess I should have mentioned Ive got all new cam bearings and freeze plugs. the motor is fresh from the machine shop. Ive got the distributor, brand new cap and rotor. Basically Im taking out the 350 and going to rob all the parts off of it that I need. The motor isnt hurt at all Ive just got this 355 shortblock that I bought for another project and that project kinda fell apart. Now I will need the break in lube and assembly lube and oil pump drive shaft and Gasket sealer.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
An oil pump primer is nice to have. Put a new waterpump on while you're at it
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
so i probably dont need to run the old water pump? your probably right....

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »
would you put an old HVAC system in a new house?  New waterpump without question.

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:43:14 AM »
Actually I disagree with the new water pump thing. The quality of todays components makes this a questionable decision for me. My friend has been through 11 motors on his Vette but still runs the original water pump. I have to agree if it ain't broke don't fix it. Besides the water pump is a simple job should it fail same goes for carb and dizzy. Just my $.02

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
11 motors on his vette with the same waterpump? Is the impeller rotted off? lol

Waterpumps aren't made to last forever, we replace them with any major engine work, ie timing chain replacement, timing belt replacement, cyclinder head service and especially if it's a new engine. It's cheap insurance and you might as well do it while you're in there. If it's a new engine your building it also looks nice painted with the engine.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
 Dbbl roller chain, Make sure when you install it there is enough clearance between the block and chain. You might need to clearance(grind) the block around the cam gear. I always do a mock up before I do the final assy. and make sure the oil sump pickup is at the right height in the pan about .375 from the pan.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:33:09 AM by joesgarage71 »
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
You seriously replace the water pump every time you do a timing chain or timing belt? Cylinder head service requires water pump replacement? I can see advising to do the water pump while doing the timing belt or chain only if it is an internal water pump. Why can't you clean up the old pump and paint it to look nice too. I used to think like you but life has taught me not to be so quick to get rid of he old for something newer. Quality and workmanship are at an alltime low these days.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:06:45 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 05:35:34 PM »
lol....A water pump is cheap...The time it takes to replace it vs the cost of the pump is one thing..Id pay the money to make sure i don't have to deal with it...That and pumps don't last forever they can rot. The seals go bad the bearings go bad it just make sense to have them do it when they have to take it off anyways....Now if he was replacing them every time he changed a belt or changed oil...I could see some one getting mad...But come on...There cheap! and just a head ace to replace.
1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline Russ130

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Yep they are cheap because they are built cheap. For me I'll take a good old pump made in the USA and made with Pittsburg steel and USA parts over the china made junk you get from a parts store any day. I still wouldn't replace it just because you have it off. Where do you all draw the line on that mentality? Fuel pump? Power steering pump? Winshield washer pump? Why not replace the tranny as long as you have the motor out of the way? Cost is why but its also the one thing that smartens you up to realize you don't have to replace it. Plus there is no guarantee the new pump will be any better or last any longer than the old one. I can tell you all about replacing a starter cause I didn't feel like cleaning the old one only to have to replace it every year for 5 yrs straight and counting.  So I say baloney replace it if its bad but otherwise there are better places to spend your money.

Offline Maintenanceman

• Registered Users
  • Older is always better
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
Well as far as I know this one is the original so Im going to go with vile and replace it. And look, I started this post as a newb engine builder looking for help and a list of things Im going to need and now you guys are making a big deal over a water pump? For real? come on guys lighten up. Just because your opinion doesnt match someone else's doesnt mean there automatically wrong. NOW...back on to the topic at hand. Is there anything else I need other than whats listed?

Here are some pics of the short block...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »
Water pumps wear out ask any GOOD mechanic who doesn't use the same waterpump 11 engines later.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:05:26 PM by Captkaos »
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)