Author Topic: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins  (Read 38298 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 91 V3500 Crew cab cummins
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 11:54:11 PM »
yesterday we had a fun day and had to tow home a old ford that ran out of gas after hitting the mud pit lol
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »
So you were wanting to leave the trans in the stock position, that is what you were trying?

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 12:05:35 AM »
yes that way i didnt have to mess with the gear shifter, transfercase shifter, driveshafts, trans crossmember and carrier bearing. thinking it would be easier and cheaper to leave it alone

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Bummer.

Offline 87max

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
I made my front crossmember out of 2x4 tubing instead of screwing around trying to make factory work, plus it was already cracked lol.
88 R30 lb7 transplant in progress
04 E350 6.0 studded & tuned work van
98 Taurus beater

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:18 PM »
what i ended up doing was cutting a section out like i posted the picture of. then i took a couple pieces of flat bar one 4" the other 5" and cut them off at 7" then i welded them on the piece i cut out then back to the original spot for the crossmember. to give the crossmember a 5" drop.

Next on the list was the firewall had to be trimmed because the transmission had to be pushed back and the adapter plate on the motor for the trans is a couple inches thick.

i had already beat the firewall to make it look more compleat by time i took these pictures

then i primed it and painted it. ill get a picture of that in the morning

Then
i moved the transmission back. one good thing i found out was the 4l80e with the transfer case adapter bolts are about 3" longer than on the 4l80e 4x2. so before i even pushed the trans back i noticed a set of holes that seamed to be about 3" apart from the bolts. and sure enough its 3". so i moved the trans back and the bolt holes lined up for the front bolts. but before i drill the rear bolts out i want to make sure its in the right place. and then i ran out of time today and put away everything, so tomorrow i WILL drop the motor in place and bolt everything down
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:15:07 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
Last 2 pics aren't working...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »

didnt get that far today. had a friend to help  but got the motor kind of in place, it needs to be tweaked a little and the trans might have to go back another inch or so. but hopefully Sunday i can get the motor and trans bolted together. one problem is the size of the 4l80e and 205 its hard to push it back cause the center hump doesn't stay for the whole length of the cab. might have to make a new transmission cross member to help drop it down a little

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
i know its seamed like a year since the last time i did anything to the truck. but last night me and two others stayed up late working on getting the motor and trans bolted up and we FINALLY got it all bolted together and the motor bolted down. Had to move the trans back about 4" so now the transmissions crossmember front bolt holes now line up with the old transmission rear bolt holes on the frame. so now comes the part that will require thinking and not just strength.

Im going to keep the fuel pumps in the tanks and use them like lift pumps. after i get the bugs worked out and get her running i plan on using a tank in the bed so i can run a different fuel and not have it contaminate my fuel in my side tanks so today im going to figure out the wiring for the firewall fuse block connection with the help of some on here.

can i switch the pigtail on the 84 with a single tank with the one from the 91 dual tanks? this is the connection on the passengers side of the fuse block not the one going to the lights on the drivers side

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 03:10:59 AM »
ok so tonight i spliced the wire harness from the 84

to the 91

and this is all what i cut out of the 91

. i want to keep the original fuel pumps so i was able to keep the fuel pump relay in the 91s wire harness. just cut out the pcm
this is the 84's firewall connection

then the 91s

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 09:22:26 AM »
got a few more things done last light. got the power steering plumbed up, then i hot wired the fuel pump relay and tried to drain the tanks. only to get about 11 gals out of one tank then the pump quit working. could hardly hear it work while it was pumping then it just stopped. flipped the tank switch (thought i had some gas in that side) and you could hear the pump scream but nothing came out. got most of the wires ran.
just need to remount the fuel pump relay on the drivers side wheel well (cause thats where the cummins oil pressure switch is at).
the motor isnt sitting quite right so i need to fix that
find a front drive shaft and cut down the rear.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
So last night i went to napa to get a oil pressure switch for the 91 crew cab. its the type that sense the oil pressure and if its above 3psi it will kick on the fuel pump. so i want the cummins to have the same effect so the pump is only running when the engine is running. ill rig up a delay relay to prime the system on start ups. but i confused the heck out of the new guy at napa, normally i deal with an older lady whos been there since i was a kid and a couple other ladys. they seam to know somethings but dont question me when i ask for something weird. 

But this is how the story goes. i ask for the switch for a 1991 chevy v3500. he replies "what year, make and model" i repeat it i could tell hes never heard of a v3500. but i let it slide didnt feel like a history lesson lol. he says ok i dont have it in stock but i can get it tomorrow. i ask for price he says 15.99. i know i get a discount but its not that good and i know they should be around $30. so i ask to see it on the screen. he shows me the regular one (its not his fault he doesnt know) so i explain appearance of the one i need and just wait...... he couldnt find it. i know they have it cause i looked it up online a little before i went in there just didnt know if it was in stock. so i said this is for the 350 right? he said it didnt give me any option. then he clicks on a box and it ask 5.7, 6.2 or 7.4. so he clicks the 5.7 and it still didnt show it. i then tell him to go to a 87 v30 and search for it there. he ask "are you sure its a 5.7" i just started to laugh and say yes. he finally finds it he said its under a 6.2. i then tell him i need a brass pipe reducer, and he just looks at me like im crazy. so i break the news to him saying theres a cummins in it not a 350. he was blow away and ask "why would you do that. i have a couple fords that will out pull the cummins any day. why wouldnt you just get a ford". i replied "cause then i would be in more work and would still pull the engine and put a cummins in it." we then go to the fittings and once they find it he said "i dont think it will work, cause the fittings hole is smaller. at this point i was getting ticked and just said "ill take it"

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 10:00:55 AM »
Those priceless moments when you confuse the crap out of people.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
so i ended up ordering the "little black box" for the tcu. the box is about $200 this is only a backup plan if i cant ge the other tcu's to work. but if i go with this black box it pluggs into the main connection on the trans and a power wire and a ground to lock the tcc

Manual Controller
Pink= 12v ignition
Brown= Ground through switch for TCC
Lock up
Yellow= D1 Trans brake (if equipped), ground through switch for
activation.
Black/Red= D3 Trans brake (if equipped), ground through switch for
activation.

now i just dont know how im supposed to get the speed sensor to work with my stock dash. anyone know how to do this?

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »

So last night i went to napa to get a oil pressure switch for the 91 crew cab ... but i confused the heck out of the new guy ... when i ask for something weird. 

"What year, make and model" .... at this point i was getting ticked ...

That was a funny read and just about sums up my experiences with parts stores in general when "my guy" isn't working.  It's frustrating entertainment.