Author Topic: tools to fix sloppy column  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
tools to fix sloppy column
« on: November 04, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
I have  sloppy steering column and I'm getting together what I need to fix it, I've read the how to and now need to make the tools needed to get to the screws.
I've made a steering wheel puller which I've already tested so need to make the lock plate remover/installer and the tools to remove the pivot pins, can anyone give me the dimensions to make them up with details of threads involved I have a friend with a machine shop to assist.
Many thanks
Graham

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: tools to fix sloppy column
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
So it sounds like a tilt wheel that is sloppy, right?

Had the same problem, found that when I finally got the steering wheel off, I could access the 4 bolts with a 1/4 extension. Didn't have to remove anything else.

Now this was 3 years ago, and I'm getting older... ;)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
you can rent (more like put a deposit down) the tools from parts stores like autozone. then return them for the full deposit price. even if you want to rent the parts stores one and then make youre own. then you can return the original ones and have copies of them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »
Hi Tim, unfortunately living in the UK renting the tools isn't an option but I'll pop the wheel off again and see if Johnny's  suggestion is viable, it'll certainly avoid a lot of dismantling!