Author Topic: How to tell different Transfer Cases???  (Read 2900 times)

Offline js9234

How to tell different Transfer Cases???
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
I have an 81 w/granny 4 spd and was wondering how to tell what type of Transfer Case I had. I just bought the truck and not sure what all has been done to it. I really can't tell if it is alluminum or not.

Offline Snuke87chevy

Re: How to tell different Transfer Cases???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
There should be a red and silver tag on your t-case that shows a serial number and the model of your t-case.  An aluminum one would have the model NP-208 and a cast iron one would be an NP-205.

Offline js9234

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
So which is the better of them?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
The NP 205 is more rugged but the 208 has a lower low range gear. Depends on what you are using the truck for. Heavy four wheelin and mud running the 205 would stand a better chance of survival. For all around purposes the 208 is a very capable unit. I will have to say I have never broken a 205 or a 203, but I have granaded a several 208s. My 86 K20 has a 208 and I have had good luck with it I two alot of cars on my trailer and plow 45 driveways every storm going on 4 years now and the only problem I have had with it is after new clutch, motor mounts and a bunch of other crap it would pop out of 4 hi go half way in between 2 wheel and 4 wheel. I adjusted the linkage rod and have never had any other trouble with it. The one in my 81 Blazer has survived some pretty serious wheelin but it has developed a large crack in the rear half of the housing.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs