Author Topic: 4x4 Shifter  (Read 24980 times)

Offline hotrod24

Re: 4x4 Shifter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
 This might help...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:47:03 PM by hotrod24 »
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
Ok, so I tried to move the bars from underneath the truck and I couldn't get them to move.  It seems like if I had a shifter in the cab it would be all the way in the back positon or in other words 4x4 High lock.  Because underneath it seems that the bar is pushed all the way forward because it won't budge if I try to push it towards the front of the truck.  If I try to pull it towards the back of the truck it does budge but I can't get it to shift to the next gear.  Do I need to move the arm from side to side first before it will move front or back.  When looking at the shift pattern that you guys showed me it only looks like it move from front to back.  Also does the truck need to be running while trying to do this?

Also, I found the plate on the transfer case and it is definately a 203 and the serial number is 1978 so does that mean it is from a 1978 truck?  The Assem No. 476742.

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »
I found a truck with a 203 that I can get the shifter parts off of.  I took the bolt out of the shifter assembly but nothing really happened. I was hoping that the whole shifter and "L" braket would come out.  The shifter is bolted to the "L" bracket so I can get it off no problem, but I also need the "L" bracket that it is bolted to.  Do I need to take something else apart before the "L" bracket will come out?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »
i would try and take the whole thing not just the l bracket. just because you dont know what else is wrong with it why it was taken off in the first place or if its all put back together right
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 08:57:06 AM »
Irish_Alley, Can you look at my post from 12/9 and let me know if you can answer any of my questions?  I appreciate it.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »
Try to take a pic of the linkage.  See if we can help about the year how does your front shaft connect to the front out put shaft.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
Here are pictures of the linkage.  I got back under their tonight and was able to get the linkage to move.  I was able to pull the linkage towards the back of the truck to where the front drive shaft now moves freely.  Before it would only spin about a inch before it stopped.  It must have been in either 2x4 high or 4x4 high.  Will the drive shaft spin freely if it is in 2x4 high or just when it is in neutral?  I guess I am still trying to find out if I have the conversion kit on my 203.  I do have manual lock out hubs.  

You will see in the first picture the two brackets are angled towards the front of the truck and the second picture they are straight up and down.  With them being straight up in down, does that mean it is in neutral.

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 08:20:02 PM »
More pictures showing the front drive shaft and some of the frame.  Hopefully this will help you identify the year of the frame and drive train.  At this point I have not found a vin/serial number on the frame.  I think I would need to take my cab off to see the number but I am not sure.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
It’s a 78-80 drive shaft due to it having that flange and not a "ubolt" style where the shaft mates to the case so that tag should be right. As far as the linkage goes not sure off the top of my head have to mess with the one that I showed ya before but. With the part time kit installed the front shaft will move freely in neutral and in 4x2

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
Ok thanks for the info.  I will keep playing with the linkage.  What is neutral used for and will the truck go in gear when the T-case is in neutral?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Truck will go in gear but you wont go anywhere its the same as neutral for the transmission

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
Ok, I finally was able to get a donor shifter assembly for my 203 but it came from a truck with a TH400 in it and my truck has a TH350.  The case that holds all the internals is a little different on the TH400 so I swapped the internals from the donor truck and put it in the case off my truck with the TH350.  I then bolted the shifter assembly back in the truck but I can only get the thing to operate the lever furthest away from the transfer case which I believe operates the 2x4 and 4x4 high gears and not the low gears.  The lever closest to the transfer case is not moving.  I am assuming I put the internals parts of the shifter assembly in incorrectly. 

Does anybody have any hints or suggestions?

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 02:30:06 PM »
Yamaha, this might help a little. When you open the link scroll down a little and click on linkage adjustment. There's a nice exploded view of your case, and the procedure to realign your shift bars.

Also try putting the transmission in nutrel, then shift through the range of the Transfer case, make sure your hubs are locked or unlocked.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/drivetrains.html

Offline Yamaha74

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
I have seen this before but I guess I just figured mine was fine, but maybe that is the issue.  I went to a junk yard again yesterday and picked up a shifter assembly from a 203 that was bolted to ta TH350.  The one I got from the junk yard before was bolted to a TH400 and the shifter assembly case was a little different so I just took the parts and swapped them into my case.  So now with one from a TH350 I am hoping I can just put it in there and everything will be good but I probably do have an adjustment problem because the new one I got yesterday seems to move just like the one I swapped the internals out of.  I am going to head out to the garage now and put the new one in and do some adjustments.

The only thing that I don't think I have is the gage pin (J).  Is that needed to do the adjustment.  The other thing I am worried about is whether any of the adjustment bolts will brake loose.  I will give it a shot and report back.

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
Yes the Gage pin will be needed, But you can use anything that will fit the hole..Like an 8 or 10 penny nail, maybe a piece of a coathanger. Take some PB Blaster..Liquid wrench or something to help loosen up the crud on your Bolts, Maybe a good wire brush to clean it all up.